Radiology Expert Forum
what is detected in a Lumbar Puncture?

Welcome to the Radiology Forum! Questions in this forum are being answered by medical professionals. Topics covered in this forum include Breast Imaging, CT/CAT Scan, Mammography, MRI, Nuclear Medicine, Radiation Therapy, Ultrasound and X-rays.

what is detected in a Lumbar Puncture?
I am getting a Lumbar Puncture tomarrow. I have had a year of being sick, and the doctors have come up with 3 things after numerous workups. Positive antibodies for CMV, Epstein Barr, and HSV2. However , in the blood tests, mainly the cmv and ebv, its only able to detect IGG or old infecton. Wondering and hoping, does a Lumbar Puncture detect the IGM for cmv or ebv, by that I mean if the virus's are actually active or not?
Thank you. I am at my wits end with feeling so ill for the last year. Oh, and they did check to see if I had any serious underlying illness like HIV, etc, to see WHY a herpes virus wouldn't go to sleep. and I'm clear. thanks