Rare Diseases Community
5 years of pelvic pain,any ideas?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to rare diseases and disorders. Some example include: Aarskog syndrome, Acoustic Neuroma, Angelman Syndrome, Behcet Syndrome, Bell’s Palsy, Canavan Disease, Carbon Baby Syndrome, Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, Chromosome Monosomy Disorders, Chromosome Trisomy Disorders, Devic's Disease, Dystonia, Ewing’s Sarcoma, Fragile X Syndrome, Immune Thrombocytopenia, Kawasaki Syndrome,Maple Syrup Urine Disease, Mastocytosis, McCune Albright syndrome, Pachygyria, Polycystic Kidney Disease, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Reiter’s Syndrome, Sickle cell anemia, Sturge-Weber syndrome, Trisomy Disorders, Usher Syndrome, Xanthinuria, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

5 years of pelvic pain,any ideas?

I am 23 andI've had pain on both sides of the pelvic area for 5 years now, it first started when I found out I was pregnant with my oldest. I went to the doctor for the pain, found out I was pregnant with a suspected ectopic pregnancy, pregnancy was ok and I had a son. During delivery I had an epidural and while pushing all I could feel was sharp stabbing pain in my right side. I am still getiing these pains. It will usually hurt on the right side more than the left but always both sides. It is like a dull stabbing pain every step I take. It is not everyday that it is bad and there has been no noticable correlation between my pain and my menstrual cycle. It is like it flares up or gets aggrevated. Sometimes it prevents me from bending properly which is inconveinient with two young boys. I've been told a have  small cysts on both ovaries (right one is bigger) and I have been for many ultrasounds that give the same result. I am told these cysts are too small to be of any concern. I have also ben told I have Irritable Bowel and so I changed my diet, no change. I experience the pain during sex and I will feel it for up to 3 days after having sex, as you can imagine it's a big turn off on my part. I've been tested for chlamydia with a negative result. I have been in the emergency rooms a few times as it's made me physically sick and doubled up in pain, they have initially thought appendicitis but again a negative result. I get sent home with Tylenol 3's. I am fed up with having these invasive ultrasounds and being given pain killers in the meantime. I would really appreciate some input. Any ideas?
Hi there
I am no expert but it sounds like you have endometriosis.It can so painfull that you cannot move at times.Not to scare you but I ended up having a hysterectomy because of it.I think you need to find an endometriosis specilaist or ask your dr if it could be a possiblity.The one question my dr asked my was it painful during intercourse.Of course.I hated been intimate with my husband cause I knew what pain I was in for during and afterwards.Try to google endometriosis and see if your symptoms fit.I really hope you get some relief.I eventualy went to another dr cause I realised that my hyst. could have been postponed and there is meds you can take to help it.I hope you find some answers.
I agree with protea, it sounds like it could be endometriosis. But it could also be fibroids. Sometimes you need to insist about your care. I had pain like this and my doctor told me it was because I was getting older and had not had childeren. I insisted and it turned out I had a large fibroid. It eventually had to get removed. Had I not had it removed I would not have been able to now have my beautiful daughter.
Whatever you do, don't take no for an answer! No one knows your body better than you do and if you have to go to another doctor, then that is what you do.
Good luck.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Aside from ultrasound, was  there a MRI or CT scan done? It is important that a surgical abdomen is ruled out. You were not able to mention also if you had previous operations on your abdomen. This is to ensure that there was no possible complication such as presence of adhesions is present. Whatever new symptom you are experiencing, it is highly recommended that you also inform your doctor about it. Take care and do keep us posted.