Any treatment for someone who had encephalitis 5 years ago.
My younger sister was diagnosed with encephalitis five years ago. She was four years old when she was diagnosed and was a healthy child before this. She has recovered to a certain extent and has made some progress. She is more alert than how she was initially and is now able to focus on things for some time. She is able to laugh and cry. She also kicks her legs and laughs when she hears a loud noise. But she still has a seizure disorder and can not speak or walk and eat on her own. She also has a movement disorder, though it is not as bad as before. She used to constantly move both of her arms around, but now only moves her right arm. Is there any kind of treatment available for my sister that will help her make more progress? Any help would be appreciated.
Hi there,
The spectrum of involvement in encephalitis depends on the specific viral agent, host immune status, and genetic and environmental factors. It can leave serious sequaelae especially in children since it causes damage to the developing brain in children. I sincerely doubt if anything much can be done with regards to treatment .Your sister needs a good rehabilitation care. She needs an outpatient physical, occupational and speech therapy to help regain her muscle strength and speech skills. Special education programs for children living with sequelae of encephalitis may help. Do keep us posted.
Best of luck!