Rare Diseases Community
Bell's Palsey

This patient support community is for discussions relating to rare diseases and disorders. Some example include: Aarskog syndrome, Acoustic Neuroma, Angelman Syndrome, Behcet Syndrome, Bell’s Palsy, Canavan Disease, Carbon Baby Syndrome, Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, Chromosome Monosomy Disorders, Chromosome Trisomy Disorders, Devic's Disease, Dystonia, Ewing’s Sarcoma, Fragile X Syndrome, Immune Thrombocytopenia, Kawasaki Syndrome,Maple Syrup Urine Disease, Mastocytosis, McCune Albright syndrome, Pachygyria, Polycystic Kidney Disease, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Reiter’s Syndrome, Sickle cell anemia, Sturge-Weber syndrome, Trisomy Disorders, Usher Syndrome, Xanthinuria, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

Bell's Palsey

Is it common to get bell's palsey several times? I had it on the right side of my face in 2006 and now have it on the left side. Is it common to keep re-occuring or will this be the end of it?
Tags: face
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Unfortunately, yes, it is possible to suffer from Bell's palsy more than once. However the recurrence rate is very small. The recurrence is more in presence of underlying disorders like diabetes, viral infections, and positive rheumatic serology test. It is difficult to predict whether it will recur or not. You must run blood tests to rule out diabetes.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
   Thank you for responding to my question.Can you tell me what a rheumatic serology test is and what is likely to be found when getting it done? Also what type of viral infections cause the bells palsey? Thanks
Well, rheumatic serology tests are done for a group of diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, rheumatic diseases of heart and joints and others like SLE, Sjogren’s syndrome, inflammatory bowel disease etc. You can get a complete list on : http://www.arc.org.uk/arthinfo/medpubs/6628/6628.asp
There is no virus found to cause Bell’s palsy. However if you have a viral infection , even a viral flu like symptom, then it is found to be associated or resulting in Bell’s palsy. The reason or correlation is not known.
Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!