Rare Diseases Community
Clicking in head

This patient support community is for discussions relating to rare diseases and disorders. Some example include: Aarskog syndrome, Acoustic Neuroma, Angelman Syndrome, Behcet Syndrome, Bell’s Palsy, Canavan Disease, Carbon Baby Syndrome, Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, Chromosome Monosomy Disorders, Chromosome Trisomy Disorders, Devic's Disease, Dystonia, Ewing’s Sarcoma, Fragile X Syndrome, Immune Thrombocytopenia, Kawasaki Syndrome,Maple Syrup Urine Disease, Mastocytosis, McCune Albright syndrome, Pachygyria, Polycystic Kidney Disease, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Reiter’s Syndrome, Sickle cell anemia, Sturge-Weber syndrome, Trisomy Disorders, Usher Syndrome, Xanthinuria, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

Clicking in head

i am a 21 year old female who is very active. lately i have noticed a clicking sound when i run, jump, jog, power walk, do push up, or even do sit ups. went to the doctors said i had a magically inflamming tendon that only becomes inflamed during those excersizes and returns to normal the moment i stop. they gave me proxicam and sent me on my way. i had a skull fracture with spinal fluid leaking in to my head around the same spot as the noise is now. could these to incidences be realated??
Avatar_dr_f_tn
When did the skull fracture happen? Can you elaborate the location of the sound? Head noise, or tinnitus is common. It may be intermittent or constant. It may be subjective and only you can hear it.  Any disturbance, whether due to swelling or pressure or interference with circulation, may occasionally involve one or more of the hearing pathways as they enter and terminate in the brain. The symptoms can be localized to one ear only. Have this evaluated further to rule out any connection to your previous head injury. Complete neurological examination may also help. Take care and do keep us posted.
I have a similar kind of question.  I still hear this now and then, but I can distinctly remember hearing a sound that reminds me of the squeaky sound of rubberbands near the back of my skull and the base of my skull (two different locations) even when I was just a little girl.  I have a memory of being on the swing set in our back yard and hearing this sound.  I remember mentioning this to others and being summarily dismissed.  I don't hear it as often as I did when I was a little girl, but I sure would like to know what this sound could possibly mean.  I have some theories, just nothing concrete.  I would like to hear what you think this is before I mention what I think.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? If the others can not hear the clicking sound, they usually dismiss it. However, in your part, it can be very clear. Tinnitus is a ringing, clicking, or other type of noise that seems to originate in the ear or head. It can go away on its own. Tinnitus can arise from the outer ear, the middle ear, the inner ear, or by abnormalities in the brain. Fluid, infection, disease of the middle ear bones or ear drum, loud noise, certain medications, nerve problems or advancing age can also cause tinnitus. But some tinnitus or head noise is normal.  We are usually not aware of these normal body sounds, because outside noise masks them. If it persists, further evaluation may be warranted. I hope this helps. Best regards.