Rare Diseases Community
Cold sore on my eyelid?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to rare diseases and disorders. Some example include: Aarskog syndrome, Acoustic Neuroma, Angelman Syndrome, Behcet Syndrome, Bell’s Palsy, Canavan Disease, Carbon Baby Syndrome, Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, Chromosome Monosomy Disorders, Chromosome Trisomy Disorders, Devic's Disease, Dystonia, Ewing’s Sarcoma, Fragile X Syndrome, Immune Thrombocytopenia, Kawasaki Syndrome,Maple Syrup Urine Disease, Mastocytosis, McCune Albright syndrome, Pachygyria, Polycystic Kidney Disease, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Reiter’s Syndrome, Sickle cell anemia, Sturge-Weber syndrome, Trisomy Disorders, Usher Syndrome, Xanthinuria, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

Cold sore on my eyelid?

I've seen 5 doctors in 4 days and spent $120 trying to figure out what's wrong with my eyelid. Two doctors said it's an infection. Two said it's shingles. And the optometrist said it's a cold sore, which is my final diagnosis. Is it possible to get a cold sore on your eyelid? It looks like a cold sore, but I've been told that shingles looks the same way, and I've had all the symptoms of shingles. I have Kaiser, so I don't trust too many of these doctors. Medication won't be available to me for another 24 hours, so I'm at a loss of what to do right now.

I'm a 19-year-old female.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Were you able to start your medication and did it help resolve the symptom? Cold sore infections may also cause complications affecting the eyes such as herpetic keratoconjunctivitis. It can cause swelling and irritation of the eye area and sores to appear on the eyelids. This can  usually be treated using antiviral medications. It is important that you have this treated, if this is the case, since herpetic keratoconjunctivitis can cause your cornea (the transparent layer over your eye) to become infected leading to blindness. It is very important also to avoid touching the eyes if you have an active cold sore. And to regularly wash your hands. Take care and do keep us posted.