Rare Diseases Community
Constantly sick

This patient support community is for discussions relating to rare diseases and disorders. Some example include: Aarskog syndrome, Acoustic Neuroma, Angelman Syndrome, Behcet Syndrome, Bell’s Palsy, Canavan Disease, Carbon Baby Syndrome, Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, Chromosome Monosomy Disorders, Chromosome Trisomy Disorders, Devic's Disease, Dystonia, Ewing’s Sarcoma, Fragile X Syndrome, Immune Thrombocytopenia, Kawasaki Syndrome,Maple Syrup Urine Disease, Mastocytosis, McCune Albright syndrome, Pachygyria, Polycystic Kidney Disease, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Reiter’s Syndrome, Sickle cell anemia, Sturge-Weber syndrome, Trisomy Disorders, Usher Syndrome, Xanthinuria, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

Constantly sick

I'm a 19 year old college female and I have been struggling with various ailments ever since I can remember. It all started when I was 10 years old and was horribly sick for 3 months straight with no help from my pediatric doctor. Finally after watching me not get better for such a long period of time, my mother took me to a homeopathic doctor who told me that I had a parasite. They put me on an herbal supplement and I got better within the next month. I'm not sure whether or not that had anything to do with the current problems I have but that's as far as I can trace my serious health issues back. I come down with various infections constantly, 1-3 times a month I catch a virus or bacterial infection and I am literally sick more often than not. I do everything that I should to keep myself healthy, I have a very good diet, I exercise, I have a constant sleep schedule, take vitamins, don't drink or smoke, and manage my days well. Over the years I have had other various illnesses besides the common infections. I have had multiple parasites, salmonella, and e-coli infections as well as bronchitis, sinusitis, tonsilitis, lyme disease, etc. During the times that I have had these illnesses my doctors have done many blood tests to try to determine if there was an underlying cause for my constant issues. All of the blood work always came back normally and I was informed that my immune system was not at all compromised. In the last few years I have developed anxiety and depression partially due to being sick all the time. I started to think that that might also have the opposite effect and stress out my body until I got sick. However, 6 months ago I started on anti-depressants that have helped my mood tremendously and I honestly don't consider my emotional heath to be a problem anymore. But still I am constantly sick. I have no answers to explain why I am this way. I have my own room in college and it is in a brand new building that is free of mold or any severe allergins that I can think of. I do everything that I could imagine to be healthy but I never am. I'm just hoping that someone has any idea of something that could explain my problem that I could bring up to my doctor. I just want an answer so that I can change my life and not have to live so difficultly.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? It is good that tests were normal and you are not immunocompromised. It is normal to have viral or bacterial infection from time to time  and you must not let this constant illnesses  control your life. What you can also do is to boost your immune system. Continue living the healthy lifestyle and also your anti-depressants. Therapy may also help. Take care and best regards.
Now that you are at school try to find activities to occupy your time. Join clubs and make friends. The mind is very powerful and having a positive attitude is the best thing to do. Don't sweat the small stuff and enjoy your college experience. You may be working yourself up to much by worrying about getting sick and then you make yourself sick- like a self fullfilling prophecy. Like the Dr. says keep eating right and excercising. Are you going to get sick? Probably, especially at school because people forget to wash their hands and don't cover their mouths when they cough or sneeze. It's going to happen. So stock up on pain reliever, cough medicine and stuff that will make the symptoms feel better faster. Don't dwell on being sick - you're young have fun.
Have your house tested for black mold, my daughter got sick from this and after we cleared it from the house she got better. It hides behind walls.
I have a very rare immune deficiency called CVID or common variable immune deficiency and was also told for many years (21 to be exact) that I was NOT immunocompromised.  Sometimes CVID initially manifests as a selective IgA deficiency and isn't detectable by 'standard' immune system blood tests, so there is a chance you might have CVID or another related disorder.  Less than 200,000 people have it so there's only a small chance you do, but I think you should rule it out.

Go to www.primaryimmune.org which is the website for the Immune Deficiency Foundation read about CVID.  If you think it sounds like you, find a doctor affiliated with the IDF and make an appointment with them.  If you are not in the USA, just do an internet search for international immune deficiency organizations and you should be able to get info from them.

Good luck and hang in there!

Wow.This is something that the parasite has done to ur immune sytem.Have you ever seen Monsters Inside me on the animal planet?Its about parasites that make tere way into people.Some damage different things that Ive seen and I did hear about one certain parasite that does attack the immune system.Even tho it was treated the person still had a weak immune system so that could vry well be why u r getting so sick all the time.Sometimes the parasite lies dormat for a while and it is possible for it to come back.I hope I helped.