Rare Diseases Community
Continuous nausea

This patient support community is for discussions relating to rare diseases and disorders. Some example include: Aarskog syndrome, Acoustic Neuroma, Angelman Syndrome, Behcet Syndrome, Bell’s Palsy, Canavan Disease, Carbon Baby Syndrome, Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, Chromosome Monosomy Disorders, Chromosome Trisomy Disorders, Devic's Disease, Dystonia, Ewing’s Sarcoma, Fragile X Syndrome, Immune Thrombocytopenia, Kawasaki Syndrome,Maple Syrup Urine Disease, Mastocytosis, McCune Albright syndrome, Pachygyria, Polycystic Kidney Disease, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Reiter’s Syndrome, Sickle cell anemia, Sturge-Weber syndrome, Trisomy Disorders, Usher Syndrome, Xanthinuria, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

Continuous nausea

My wife is still expereincing nausea, and it is becoming more prevalent.  Here is the original note I sent back in Nov.

My wife aged seventy, has had a persistent nausea  problem since about February 2008. She wakes up in the morning and feels fine...until she starts to move around. The nausea stays with her until she has some food and liquid in her stomach.  Many times, it subsides, but comes back when she moves around again.   All her tests EGD, Cat Scan, MRI, etc turn out normal.  Hida Scan showed her gall bladder to be very small and only 10% operative, so she had it removed about two months ago. Nausea subsided some for a few days, but it's back almost every day now, and once in a while she has complained of dizziness as well. She hasn't experienced any pain, and has not vomited or had diarreah (diarrhea).  No fever either.  Doesn't seem to be tied to food, meals, etc.
Doctors are stumped.  I hope someone will come up with a good idea of the cause of this.  Any help will be very much apprediated.
\
She had the inner ear tests done in February, and they turned out normal.

A month or so ago, her doctor did the breath test and she tested positive for H Pylori bacteria. The first antibiotic he prescribed did away with the nausea about the day after she started taking it. About threee days after she finished the fourteen day treatment, the nausea returned.  Then he prescribed  a stronger regimen.  Nausea stopped after a day or so, then returned within four days and is still with her three weeks later. Now, it sometimes lasts all day.  She felt better this afternoon and took a shower. When she finished, she was hit with the nausea as she was putting on her clothes for church.  Really puzzling, and frustrating seeing her sick, and I can't get anything done about it.

Surely she isn't the only one in this country who is experiencing this condition. Please let me know if you have experienced the same, especially if yo found a cause....again, her doctor is stumped.
Thank you.
Thanks for writing to the forum!

Well since H Pylori was found positive your wife could be suffering from acidity and maybe associated GERD. Omeprazole is a good drug to combat this. Along with it you can try over the counter antacids. However I would recommend you see a doctor and take medication under a doctor’s supervision. Avoid heavy meals. Avoid too much of caffeine, tea, fried food and drinks both alcoholic and non alcoholic fuzzy ones. Avoid heavy exercises within 4 hours of a heavy meal. Raise the head end of the bed by pillows to 30 degrees. Go to bed at least 2 hours after food.
Hope these tips help. If symptoms persist please let me know and do keep me posted. Take care!
Read the post. I've been taking her to doctors for fourteen months, and none have helped, including a lady doctor at Vanderbilt. Real disappointment.
Have had her off one of her memory meds for three weeks now, but nausea still occurs, like this afternoon, After lunch she took a nap. After she got up we went to a local mall to walk, since it was raining.   She got nauseous while walking.
I can't help but think that if it's a food affinity, she would be nauseous soon after eating, not in the middle of the afternoon.  After she got hiome it got a bit severe, but in about half an hour subsided.
Really puzzling.
Thanks for keeping me posted!
Well if you can link her nausea to food then 3 possibilities come to my mind right now—one is stomach ulcers and maybe cancer stomach. The second possibility is gall bladder and liver issues. The third possibility is allergy to food items like gluten, citrus fruits etc
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

Hi Larry,

Try to check for Convergence Insufficiency ("CI").

My girlfriend had the exact same symptoms and went through the same tests etc. The doctors were all clueless!

A friend then recommended that she contacted a "neuro optometrist". We thought it was worth a try and after an hour of testing, the doctor could confirm that she suffered from CI. After two months of exercises, she is finally about to recover.

You can read more about CI here http://www.convergenceinsufficiency.org/

It is worth a try!

Cheers
Aske
My wife's nausea is almost identical to yours. She has also hat ulra sound, CT and MRI scans but all are clear. No one seems to know the answer. I wondered whether you had made any more progress since your original comment.
I also have constant nausea that sounds extremely similar to your wife's patterns.   Recently I had 3 people tell me my CT scans were normal.  I waited 3 months for an appointment with Schwaber at Nashville ENT and finally!!!!!  got a diagnosis of a rare condition called Superior Canal Dehiscence, since an EXPERIENCED doctor (and also a neurologist) saw the evidence on my CT scan, even after others missed it.  The dizziness and "moving around" you are describing tells me this is an inner ear/brain issue causing the nauseous feeling. Good luck.  (p.s.  I just have nausea with this condition, not the typical vertigo, etc, symptoms).
Hi Larry:
my advice is to see neurologist and psychologist to role out any neoro problems.
Females have hormonal changes from time to time, depression is a most common with females due to these hormonal changes, depression can cause things that you can not imagine, psychologist can help.
For sure it is not life threating but i know that it is very noisy.

good luck