Rare Diseases Community
Crawling/ itching feeling under skin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to rare diseases and disorders. Some example include: Aarskog syndrome, Acoustic Neuroma, Angelman Syndrome, Behcet Syndrome, Bell’s Palsy, Canavan Disease, Carbon Baby Syndrome, Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, Chromosome Monosomy Disorders, Chromosome Trisomy Disorders, Devic's Disease, Dystonia, Ewing’s Sarcoma, Fragile X Syndrome, Immune Thrombocytopenia, Kawasaki Syndrome,Maple Syrup Urine Disease, Mastocytosis, McCune Albright syndrome, Pachygyria, Polycystic Kidney Disease, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Reiter’s Syndrome, Sickle cell anemia, Sturge-Weber syndrome, Trisomy Disorders, Usher Syndrome, Xanthinuria, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

Crawling/ itching feeling under skin

Please help me..  I have started feeling like there is something crawling under my skin..  I first felt it on my arms now my face around my lips and eyebrows.  I have started pulling my eyebrows out and when I look at the tips I see a clear hard buildup of some sort.  

My back itches/ feels like something is crawling on my legs, face and arms.

Its like something is under my skin and attaches to my hair and forms a mass on each strand of hair....

I dont know what is wrong but please help me...  

I drink bottles of Benadryl to try to stop the itching and crawing feeling but it does not last long....
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Formication refers to the sensation that resembles that of insects crawling on or under the skin. This can be associated with onset of menopause  or hormone withdrawal, or medical conditions such as diabetic neuropathy, skin cancer, syphilis, or herpes zoster. Have this checked by your doctor for proper evaluation. Take care and regards.
Parasites in the body that is the answer to crawling under skin sensation.What is needed is a detox to get rid of these. I would suggest researching.
I, too, had what you have.  It started with the movement in my ears, went to my hair, than attacked different places on my body: upper left back, left buttock, left foot, some toes and fingers.  Over 100 lesions covered my body at one time.  Anywhere from tiny bumps to nickle size.  The sores open and send out "spreaders".  They feel like webs with sand particles and a few tiny worms.  I did learn what I have and am now being treated.  Before I found out, I found bathes in Arm & Hammer super washing sode followed by a bath in olive leaf powder helped to heal the sores and remove the spreaders.
An infectious disease dr. diagnosed me.  Herpetic Dermatitis.  Caused by the Herpes 1 virus, this is related to Herpes Gladiatorum.  The Western Blot Test or the Elisa Test will note the presence of and activity index for what you have.  It will take months to put into dormacy.  I have been on the medication for 8 days now and the crawling feelings and movement under the skin have nearly disappeared.  Oh yes.  My sores had contracted a bacterial/fungal infection which caused bugs to be attracted to me much like a sore on your leg while visiting a creek will call bugs.  The bathes, taking olive powder orally raw, and irrigating sinuses and ears with 1 tsp. of olive leaf to the gallon killed the co-infection and the bugs left me and my environment.
I too am going crazy with this itching and feeling of things crawling undering my skin, especially on my face and back.  This comes after 5 rounds of antibiotics and 1 of steroids as I had a sinus infection that would not go away due to dental procedure.  

I don't know how much more I can take; any suggestions are welcome.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Prolonged antibiotic intake such as in your case, 5 rounds of different antibiotics, may lead to proliferation of other organisms that may cause fungal or viral infection also. It is important to have supplements at this time and use of antifungals if indicated. It is highly recommended that you have this checked by your attending for proper evaluation. Treatment usually depends on the underlying cause. Take care and do keep us posted.
This will be deleted by tomorrow. But its simply a case of bad blood circulation.  I have it, my dad lost a leg to it, eventually his life coz it brittles youre veins-prevents blood from pumping, from fingers and toes up (Smaller veins obv) . And it drives me insane.  Althought med comps dont want you to know that.  Coz they call it "Psychological"  Are youre toes cold and purple, fingers? Bad circulation people !! As much as it keeps us up at night thats the simple truth. Stop smoking and drinking, and if you dont your genes suck and you need to exercise more !!  Remember smaller veins go first...
i would be very happy to belive in bad circulation or psychological issue but when i see people around me starting to scratch all the time iam not conviced anymore,in the last 2 years i have it,2 people after sleeping in bed after me(once) and once sleping in bed with me were complaining about the same: something is biting them,they can feel something crawling in the hair etc
Have you found anything new about it?  I have the same problem, but I haven't found anything that stops it!
what kind of medicine did he prescribe
I have a rash on my leg at first it looked like a tiny pimple I scratched it and it spreaded to a large red patch. I feel itchy all over my body like something is crawling on me could be a bedbug
I have had the feeling of something crawling under my skin for 3 weeks. it started when i started taking the steroid, Predizone. I stoped taking it like 2 weeks ago but i still have the feeling. It feels like stuff crawling through my veins and them having a spassim attack. I also feel it crawling up and down my back, arms, legs, feet and i just can' t take it anymore i need an answer. Please help me!!
Buy some Neem oil or Tea tree oil off ebay and rub it all over your body.  Repeat every day for a couple weeks. Buy yourself some Sulfur-Lavender soap this will rid you of any parisitic bug you might have.  
KallieKall, what you describe sounds very similar to the beginnings of Lyme Disease.
AuntieMadder, what you mentioned to KallieKall is exactly why I am here searching.  I tested negative for Lyme twice but am waiting on results from IgeneX.  I removed 5 ticks in March 2012 and have been really sick since June 2012.  Docs say no Lyme in NC but I don't buy it.  I ordered Lyme test from IgeneX myself and finally found a Doc to sign release form.  Today the bug crawling sensation is around my ears and top of head.  Are you currently being treated for Lyme or been treated?  Thnx for your post!  
bcsummerfield, I've not been treated at all...well, I was treated like a nutjob at the ER, but that's another story. I don't know what's gotten to me (or on me or keeps going at me or...). I've had the creepy-crawlies for several months. It started with being bitten by something, or feeling I was being bitten by something, small and evasive, along with my very first infestation of head lice - super lice, to be more exact - at the ripe old age of 48. Finally got rid of the head lice for sure a couple of weeks ago, but still get the crawlies and the biting sensations, and even have a couple of small, open wounds that look and felt/feel like the bites of something very small. For the record, I'm not a picker or even much of a scratcher as there's not been a lot of itching, so there are only those couple of very small open wounds on my skin. And I'm pretty darned sure those are bite wounds. There are just reddish, irritated looking areas on my skin, pain and some itching at the sites of those early, mean, slow-to-heal bites on my back, and the sensations of things walking around on and occasionally biting me.

I have no medical insurance and don't think I'd bother with the doctors if I did, having been wheeled into an CAT scan and my blood taken by the ER idiots who, had they listened to my complaints and taken a look at my skin and scalp, would have witnessed the party being thrown on my scalp by head lice (never mind that I told them that I thought maybe I had head lice but didn't know how to check for them...or anything about them, really) and the still-healing bites on my shoulders, back and torso. (At my sister's suggestion, I began treating for head lice that very night and, with them finally stilled, could feel them between my fingers - ewww - and popping or jumping out of my hair and landing in the tub I was bent over as I slathered on and then rinsed out the RID. The following night, my boyfriend updated me on the progress of the bites on my back that were still healing.)

I don't know if the head lice brought along something more that's still with me or if they were a part of something more but I've done a lot of reading in trying to figure it out. And that's how I knew that KallieKall's description of her would and rash is similar to the beginnings of Lyme Disease.

It's been quite a learning experience, one that I admit I would have opted out of if given the choice. Being forced through these lessons, the most valuable part that I'll come away with is learning first-hand of the horrible treatment - mistreatment, actually - of people like you and so many who've posted here, and of me, too, by the medical community, when seeking help for bug infestations or the sensation(s) thereof. There was a time that I would have doubted the testimony of sufferers of Lyme Disease, Morgellon's Disease, bird mite infestations, and the mystery creepy-crawlies because the doctors who allegedly examined them doubted them and labeled them delusional. But not anymore. There are too many - and more every day - with symptoms that are similar to identical, almost all of whom share complaints of identical mistreatment by the medical community. We can't all be delusional so, as far as I'm concerned, none of us are (and I tried to convince myself that I was!). Something is happening - something bad - and they can't get a handle on it so they just won't handle it at all. Cowards, all of them.
we started with itching, i found my hair or scalp itching also. well we discovered bed bugs. got rid of them and i am still experiencing this crawling sensation and itching. no sign of lice. and it seems to be alot of the same spots. we do have a pet rat but we dont really hold him, especially me! got rid of the micro fiber furniture and got leather, no change in the crawling feeling. when i look to see what is on me there is nothing and we are talking about daytime when i am standing in my kitchen. it is happening right now. no sores just crawly itchy feeling. i have put diatomaceous earth powder down and hoping for the best. any suggestion on where or how to look for anything i havent looked for or seen already would be great. please help anyone, i am about to go to the er and let them call me crazy so i can go crazy :)
i just want to say thank you for your post.  i went to 6 doctors from general to infectious disease to ER.  they all just looked at me like i was a lunatic.  something was biting me and moving around.  my foot was oozing pus , which there are plenty of worms in, but they just said i had athletes foot and once that clears then they will address the swelling and fever of 101.7 CONSTANTLY.  I too tried to convince myself that it was in my head but it just wouldnt go away.  so tons of research and diamatectous earth.  but you made me feel more sane.
Have you looked at disseminated strongyloidiasis?  brought on by steroids.
I wonder if someome can tel me  how to get rid of crawley sensations in my head.sixteen years ago i got terrible stabbing pains in my head,esp just above left ear.a year later the docs said i had probably had the shingles.i still get the awful pains today.i have been told it is post herpetic neuralgia.i use axain cream.i cant sleep and these crawley feelings are so bad.i need some help desparately.thanks
Is there such a thing as pin worms that are feet long? Ones that can enter all of your orifice's ? I feel a wave of electrical thread like things in the thousands that have swarmed me. They all move and when the thred becomes to tight my skin will break in a dry oval type sore then rip my skin open...It happened 10 years ago , went away and now I can feel it sliding again,,,,mouth ,eyes,anus..Like im just dripping it by thetons.........HELP
I don't think that's a bad guess, cheri855.  I have some kind of skin/circulation problem anyway, with very red toes - especially in weather over 60 degrees - and hands.  Now I feel there is something in the bottom of the arch of my foot, and on my face under my eye near my nose.  On the latter, it feels like crawling.  It can be felt from the outside on my foot.  The spot on my face comes after I rubbed under the eye last week, and I got a vertical wide red line there which is now going away.  I don't understand this, though.
Yes I agree with you. For some time I wanted to think it was bugs, then I stumbled upon morgellon's and I thought it was inside of me. But I cannot help but noticed that when am not sitting at my desk and I switch chairs, it almost goes away completely. I can't help but notice people who come to my house scratching, and I can't ignore the fact that sometimes I walk by people on the bus, the swap at their arm, and look at their arm as if they are looking for something that bit them. I too notice people around me scratching. At work if people come to my cubicle and I am having a bad itching day, I notice them scratching their heads too. If I clean my area with Windex and it gets better, people come to my area and don't scratch. I do not know what the origin of this is, but I do know there are bugs involved with it. Or a fungus, or something we really can't see, but is there making others itch too.
My nightmare began back in January 2011. I met my bf in December 2010. He had had a bed bug infestation in his apt. Turns out the whole building was having one. He had to even go to court to have something done. It turns out his apt too had a mites infestation...and surely enough, mites came into my home. This is not an assumption as my cat was staring at the rug and picking something black form it and it kept falling from its mouth when I reached out to grab it, it popped very easily between my fingers. I didn't know much about bed bugs since I never had them and assumed my bf had brought them to the house. Turns out he did bring something in his clothes but it was mites not bed bugs. And ever since, my life has been a nightmare. I removed the rubs, I got rid of my beloved cat who also caught whatever it is I have. He was going crazy running around the apt at night, literally bouncing against the walls, I couldn't help him, so I gave him up. It has been voer 2 years now, and although my symptoms ahve improved I still feel itching and crawling, especially at work. I stumbled upon the healing grapve vine website, and I ahve taken some of teh advise form there. Some people believe this is what's called Morgellon's. I don't know waht to believe or think. I do fall into several categories of different people who have suggested possible causes for this. For one, I am 42, perimenopausic and with a ridiculous hormonal unblance. Then there is the metal in ym legs from a broken leg (many people believe this is originated from metallic toxins) then my bf has a gazzilion fillings (some people believe this comes from silver fillings), then at some point i was exposed to mold (some people think this is caused by mold poisoning). I too felt like I was bit by something I never saw. I have two scars, one on my wrist and one of my thigh to prove it, though the doctors dismiss me as if I just woke up insane from one day being perfectly healthy, active, non drug abuser professional...and according to some doctors I need psychological help. Some people call this, dillusional parasitosis. Which to me is crappy explanation for the medical industry not having a better answer to give us. I am no dillusional, and I am sure that whatever it is, is a parasite. Someone in this site suggested is bad circulation, I too ahve noticed I have terrible circulation, especially when I am sleeping. And my bf legs are totally veined up. Can't help but wonder if its the opposite: I have read parasites and fungus cause veins issues. I know I am rambling...For some time I wanted to think it was bugs, then I stumbled upon morgellon's and I thought it was inside of me. But I cannot help but noticed that when am not sitting at my desk and I switch chairs, it almost goes away completely. I can't help but notice people who come to my house scratching, and I can't ignore the fact that sometimes I walk by people on the bus, the swap at their arm, and look at their arm as if they are looking for something that bit them. I too notice people around me scratching. At work if people come to my cubicle and I am having a bad itching day, I notice them scratching their heads too. If I clean my area with Windex and it gets better, people come to my area and don't scratch. I do not know what the origin of this is, but I do know there are bugs involved with it. Or a fungus, or something we really can't see, but is there making others itch too.
hi good day! my name is fredo and i read your message here and im having the same  problem that you felt before,,I just want to ask if you already get rid out off it? and what medication did you use??please tell me..thank you..
I have the some problem  for a long time, but now it is getting worse, I have no sore,I feel something crawling  under my skin specially in my legs and back , and I feel my body very hot.Also once a moth  I have like a mosquito bit in my legs , and arm. , what is that?
There are MANY different Reasons for you all to be experiencing these problems.  RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome) produces the SAME feelings that you all have described.  Lyme Disease can most definitely be a culprit.  Bed Bugs, Head Lice, an Infection Brought On or Advanced by ANY one of the types of the Herpes Virus, Poor Circulation, and Withdrawals from Medications (ESPECIALLY Narcotic Pain Medications), can ALL prove to be Culprits of this Feeling.  

It bothers me SO much hearing about the "Mistreatment", "Mismanaging" and "Accusations" towards you guys by the Medical "Professionals".  I have had to deal with MANY Incompetent and NON-Caring Doctors over the past 30 years of my life, with my last encounter this past Friday Evening at the Emergency Room of one of the Hospitals around here.  When I was Brought to the ER, it was because my Jaw had Locked Shut and I have been experiencing OTHER Post-Surgical Complications from a Minor Surgery that was done on Wednesday October 2nd.  

There ARE Support Groups out there for pretty much EVERYTHING, and I suggest that you all find some.  Aside from the SUPPORT received at a Support Group, the other "Members" are/can be VERY Thoughtful and Helpful when it comes to helping you to find out what is going on SPECIFICALLY with YOU.  If they ARE or HAVE gone through the same things, or SIMILAR things, that you are going through, chances are that they can help you find a MYRIAD of Doctors who WON'T Judge You and who WILL take you Seriously.

Whatever you decide to do, do NOT let any of the Doctors tell you that "it's all in your head" and/or that "you are suffering from 'Delusional Parasitosis' 'Delusional Paranoia' or 'Delusional Psychosis'."  If any of them DO, than "excuse" yourself from you appointment and tell them that you "KNOW there is something going on that is NOT 'all in your head' and that you WILL find a Doctor who is MORE than Willing to help you!"  If the Doctor you are seeing at that time STILL gives you problems, just leave.  However, if they "change their tune", so to speak, and decide to help you, stick around.

Aside from your Regular Primary Care Physicians (PCP's), Dermatologists, and "Infectious Control" Doctor, you should REALLY find a WELL Known and WELL Liked Neurologist.  They are TRULY the only ones who can help you to not only figure out what is going on, but to help you Treat or even Cure it.

I hope that this helped at least SOME of you and at least a LITTLE!  Take Care, and keep us all Up To Date on you all's Progress!!!  Good Luck!  XOXO
have you found any relief in the past few years? what helped?

I have an identical situation. It feels like the living things under my skin in my face and my head and now the rest of my body wiggle back and forth like windsheild wipers constantly and I cant stop it.

If you can give me any info to help I would greatly appreciate it.
how can you get tested for this?? iv'e had the of itching under my skin for a while now, over a year!! and i feel my bones are getting weak and brittle.. HELPPP
Scabies maybe??? I knew a guy at work who got them... He went insane until they finally got rid of them.