Rare Diseases Community
Does anyone have MGUS??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to rare diseases and disorders. Some example include: Aarskog syndrome, Acoustic Neuroma, Angelman Syndrome, Behcet Syndrome, Bell’s Palsy, Canavan Disease, Carbon Baby Syndrome, Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, Chromosome Monosomy Disorders, Chromosome Trisomy Disorders, Devic's Disease, Dystonia, Ewing’s Sarcoma, Fragile X Syndrome, Immune Thrombocytopenia, Kawasaki Syndrome,Maple Syrup Urine Disease, Mastocytosis, McCune Albright syndrome, Pachygyria, Polycystic Kidney Disease, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Reiter’s Syndrome, Sickle cell anemia, Sturge-Weber syndrome, Trisomy Disorders, Usher Syndrome, Xanthinuria, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

Does anyone have MGUS??

Hi.  I posted this in another forum but got no answers, so I thought I would try here.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

I was diagnosed with MGUS, which is a pre-cancerous condition that can lead to bone cancer and some other gnarly stuff.  According to Wikipedia, Hep C is one of several diseases that MGUS can present with, so I am posting there first.  The only things I found on the subject when I searched MedHelp, were very old posts, so I thought I would see if there are any current folks who may know about this.  Here is the description from Wikipedia:

Monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance (MGUS, unknown or uncertain may be substituted for undetermined), formerly benign monoclonal gammopathy, is a condition in which a paraprotein is found in the blood during standard laboratory tests. It resembles multiple myeloma and similar diseases, but the levels of antibody are lower, the number of plasma cells (white blood cells that secrete antibodies) in the bone marrow is lower, it has no symptoms or problems, and no treatment is indicated. However, multiple myeloma develops at the rate of about 1-2% a year, so doctors recommend monitoring it yearly. In rare cases, it may also be related with a slowly progressive symmetric distal sensorimotor neuropathy.
i've was diagnosed in august.  it was found because i passed out in july.  MGUS, anemia and exhaution is all that has been found. The anemia has been fought for yeas and the osteoporoses has been fought three years however vitamins seem to do nothing.  By any chance do you also have the exhaustion?  paaaetz.
Hi Paetz,

Sorry to hear you passed out!  MGUS was found by a Rheumatologist, along with Osteoarthritis in one digit and Rhematoid in another (very odd, I know).  There are no distinct symptoms for MGUS that I know of.  I have, however, probably been borderline Anemic for a long time but never realized it.  I am currently Anemic and exhausted because of being in treatment for Hep C.  When you were diagnosed with MGUS, did they recommend anything??  Or are you just being monitored?  Have you noticed additional bone pain??  I haven't seen any big fluctuations in my labs, and pray it stays that way.  All the best to you!  Thanks for chiming in on my question :0)
if this goes through on the third try contact me by e-mail  ***@****
it would be great to exchange information without all these problems
since they blockerd out my address. I will try again. it seems that most of the time they won't take my password.  847 i have the bone pane that you talk abpout and the anemia.  I am going to mayo after all the probelems with the local 381 doctors that seem to ignore the changes juntill  it progresses to mm.  I would love to 3720 be able to give you any and all information as I get it.  bonnie
i have mgus and also hep"c" how do we make contact and exchange info.
i have had hep"c" as long as vietnam but mgus maybe 6 or 7 years. mgus wasn't explained very thoroughly before as they thought it was cancer. i am being treated at present va san diego. would like to exchange info
i have been diagnosed with mgus and hep"c" would like to exchange
Hey Eddy, I'm just picking this up.

For now, it's better if we post in this forum, as it may help someone else down the line.  Sorry to hear about your diagnosis of Hep C too.  Be sure to check out those forums too, if you haven't already.  There's a ton of information and some good people going through the same thing.

As for MGUS....I know very little.  It's one of those, "I have what??"  Even after it was explained to me, I had to look it up online.  My understanding of it is: if nothing changes, that's a good thing, but if labs get elevated (I don't remember the level) than MGUS has the capabilities of doing very bad things.  Here's the link from Wikipedia that I hope will help, just cut and paste it into your browser:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monoclonal_gammopathy_of_undetermined_significance

Blessings,
Beeblessed
Hey Paetz, how are you??  Sorry I missed your post in May, and am just now seeing it.  I have not been in the forums nearly as much this year.  I think MGUS is such an obscure  disease, our discussions about it in this forum will be easier for others to see and respond to.  Even though the doctors say MGUS is "common", I have never heard of it, which is why I came here for answers and experiences.  Personally, I feel exactly the same as I did when I was diagnosed a few years back.  Have to force myself to remember to seek out foods that are good for my bones.

Take care,
Beeblessed
do you know the connection of mgus and hep c?
Good question! Here's what I found:

BACKGROUND: Two patients were admitted to Mie Prefectural General Medical Center and diagnosed as chronic hepatitis C complicated with monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance (MGUS).

METHODS: The MGUS class were immunoglobulin (Ig)G. The hepatitis C virus (HCV) RNA genotype was Ib. Based on these findings, they were diagnosed as chronic hepatitis C complicated with MGUS.

RESULTS: Histological studies showed chronic hepatitis in the liver and a mild rise in plasma cells without dysplasia and abnormalities in the bone marrow. Serum examination for cryoglobulin was negative.

CONCLUSION: Chronic HCV infection might play a pathogenic role in the multistage process leading to lymphoproliferative disorders.

Copyright 2003 Blackwell Publishing Asia Pty Ltd

The article is pretty old but my guess is they haven't done enough studies yet.  Take a look at the Wikipedia link I sent you.  It says they can "present" together.  You might want to also go to the Hep C forum and ask them about  Hep C and bone marrow issues, myloma, bone disease, etc. (instead of just saying MGUS), to see if anyone might have experience/advice.

Here's a link to the medical Hep C forum:
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Hepatitis-C/show/75
Hi to all, I am doing fine.  I am on the mgus support group on facebook because it is easier to sign into.  Hope i'll see you there.  I have so much info from mayo but am unable to post it here.  My tx # is in my may post if you look carefully