EOS blood level and parasites
I have recently been traveling in Africa and was swimming in a fresh water area where the parasite Bilharzia has been known to live. About a month after that I developed chest pains and a cough. I am still traveling but went to the doctor who said that I only have bronchitis. He did a blood test and my EOS level is at 8.2. The normal level is listed as 0-7. Could this EOS level be caused by bilharzia or would it be much higher if I did have a parasite? I was given antibiotics and expectorant for the bronchitis but two weeks later and I am still suffering from the chest pain and cough.
How are you? Do you still experience the chest pain and cough? Eosinophilia or increased number of eosinophils in the blood may be attributed to  a variety of conditions, diseases and factors, such as parasitic and fungal diseases, allergies (including to medications or food), adrenal conditions, skin disorders, toxins and even autoimmune diseases. If your symptoms are still present, it is best that you check with your doctor for proper evaluation. A repeat blood test may also help monitor your blood count.  Take care and do keep us posted.