Rare Diseases Community
Episodes of flushing of ears,face, neck,shoulders, elbows, knees, ankle...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to rare diseases and disorders. Some example include: Aarskog syndrome, Acoustic Neuroma, Angelman Syndrome, Behcet Syndrome, Bell’s Palsy, Canavan Disease, Carbon Baby Syndrome, Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, Chromosome Monosomy Disorders, Chromosome Trisomy Disorders, Devic's Disease, Dystonia, Ewing’s Sarcoma, Fragile X Syndrome, Immune Thrombocytopenia, Kawasaki Syndrome,Maple Syrup Urine Disease, Mastocytosis, McCune Albright syndrome, Pachygyria, Polycystic Kidney Disease, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Reiter’s Syndrome, Sickle cell anemia, Sturge-Weber syndrome, Trisomy Disorders, Usher Syndrome, Xanthinuria, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

Episodes of flushing of ears,face, neck,shoulders, elbows, knees, ankles w/ burning/tingling

Periodically, my ears will begin to flush and burn. It then spreads to my face, neck, shoulders, elbows, knees and ankles. I literally feel like I have been sunburned and the skin is bright red, tingles and burns. The burning sensation in my face gets worse when I bend over. This usually lasts an hour or less but leaves me feeling tired and sleepy. It has happened twice in less than 7 days and in the past three months about 1 or 2 episodes a month.

Other symptoms I have are night and day hot flashes, but not with the burning sensations...just get really hot and then it passes quickly. I believe these are related to perimenopause as I have not had a period since October. I am 52 years old.

I have insomnia, however, I have no trouble going to sleep. I wake around 2 or 3 am and have trouble going back to sleep without using Unisome or some other sleep aid.

I have tendonitis that is returning in my arm. I had it two years ago in both arms for almost a year. PT made it worse & cortisone shots relieved the pain for three weeks but made feel sick the whole time. Curcumin finally took the pain away, but now the curcumin doesn't seem to be doing the job as well as it had been.

I have a whooshing sound in my right ear that is there most of the time, but sometimes not. It gets worse at times with certain movements.

I have recurrent misc. aches and pains that come and go throughout my body. Never know where they will pop up.

I have chronic neck/shoulder pain and stiffness due to whiplashes in my past. I also get headaches from time to time that seem to stem from my neck.

The main symptoms I wonder about are those in the first paragraph, but I list the others just in case there may be some relation there.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? What other medical condition do you have? You are right in saying that menopause can cause of a red, hot, burning face in women iA hot flash is a sensation of intense warmth in the body that may last for a few minutes. This is called a vasomotor flush. It is seen as redness starting in the chest and neck area, and then rising to cover the face.Aside from flushing, other signs and symptoms of menopause or perimenopause include:  irregular periods, sleep disturbances, mood swings, and thinning hair. If it persists, have this evaluated by your doctor for proper management.
Thanks for replying to my post.  I saw my dr this week.  Since I told him I had also had an episode where my vision was a bit zig zaggy around the perimeter, he said that is classic migraine symptom and he said it has to do with the blood vessels and blood flow. So with the crazy flushing symptoms that I have that are different from the menopause hot flashes, the whooshing in my ear and this episode of zig zaggy vision, and the tendonitis, he decided to run a blood a test to look for inflammatory markers in my blood.  He said if anything shows up, it will give him a cue to do some other testing to find out why I am having an inflammatory response. He said if inflammatory markers show up in the blood work, it indicates that there is an underlying disease process that is causing it.

I wonder, could celiac disease cause this?  I was never tested with the "gold standard" intestinal biopsy, but I have many of the symptoms of long standing celiac disease, such as severe osteoporosis.  Before I went gluten free I was often getting the burning, blistering rash on the back of neck that I've read can be common with celiac.  I had lots of canker sores in my mouth that finally went away when I cut gluten out of my diet.

Even though I have been gluten free for almost five years, could long standing malnutrition be causing me some of the muscle stiffness and tendonitis that I have?

I just wonder about a lot and how much long-standing nutritional deficits  play into this even though now I am gluten free and taking supplements to boost my nutrition.

It should be interesting to see if the blood work actually comes up with anything.

Marsha
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi Marsha,
It is good that you were able to see your doctor. Were you able to have antibody testing for celiac disease? Celiac disease is difficult to diagnose because it resembles several other conditions that can cause malabsorption. Intestinal biopsy really needs to be done for confirmation of the disease.  Aside from malnutrition,  complications that have been associated with this condition include neurological complications such as nerve  damage (peripheral neuropathy). This is worth further evaluation especially with your symptoms of muscle stiffness and tendonitis. It would be helpful to discuss this with your doctor to rule this out. Do keep us posted with your blood work. Take care always.
hello everyone i have had flushing of the face neck and ears and it burns like ive been in the sun for weeks it stays this way ive been to all thedoctors in the world and have had many test but knowone can tell me anything it is very hard anymore to go out in public because the way i look does anyone have any advice
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Are there other symptoms present? What tests were done? And what medications are you taking? Pardon for the many questions, but to be able to understand what could be causing the flushing of your face and neck, your medical history is essential. I do understand how it feels to not knowing what is happening. But hang on, and try not to lose hope. Take care and hope to hear from you soon.
Didn't sign my last post, so am reposting.  My flush is amazingly identical to yours including knees and elbows, which is very rare. I think mine is carcinoid syndrome, specifically foregut because all have lasted at least 40 mintues.  Is your flush dry like mine?  If not, yours can be menopause because of your age.  I also have aches and pains  -- seemingly muscles, not joints.  All blood/urine tests and octreotide scan are negative, so experts say it's not carcinoid, but each test is far from 100% sensitive,  therefore not 100% accurate.    You don't mention seeing doctors, having tests, etc. If you have had tests, I'd be interested to know which and what the results were.  If your flush is dry, not sweaty, I suggest seeing a carcinoid specialist, or at least mentioning carcinoid syndrome to your primary dr. or endocrinologist because carcinoid is quite rare and many doctors don't think of it as a possibility.  I hope to hear from you soon.

Lori637
It has been a while since your first post but I have something very similar to what you described.  It started  that at random times my face, ears, elbows and knees would turn bright red and burn like I was in the direct sun for 20 hours.  It lasts for about 45 minutes and when it goes away there is no sign that anything happened.  I have been to many doctors and no one can figure it out.  This has progressed to happen daily now and the redness covers my entire face,  my arm from my fingers to my shoulder, and my toes up to and including my butt cheeks. The pain is so intense that it feels like my skin is about to bubble and peel off my body.  It still only lasts 45 minutes but is is 45 of complete torture!   There is no redness on my torso at this point but I am sure that it is just a matter of time.  

I really need guidance!