Equine Protozoal Myeloencephalitis in a human?
I recently heard of EPM while overhearing a man at a local tack store mention that his horse had "possum disease."  I was intensely interested in this as I've been sick for over two years now shortly after adopting an orphaned opossum baby.

A few weeks after adopting it, I awoke with a strangely stiff neck.  There would be a squishing sound when I turned my neck to the far left as though there was junk in my neck.  A couple of weeks after that my joints started to pop and crack a lot.  Some time later I began to have pain and stiffness around my mid spine and symptoms of restless leg syndrome.  Eventually my coordination seems to have suffered.  My memory and concentration are now shot.  I have some negative neurological effect in regards to my sight.

I've only been treated for Lyme disease which I tested negative for.

How can I diagnose a protozoal infection like this?  What steps should I take?  What kind of doctor should I seek out?  

I'm desperate.  Any help greatly appreciated.

PM