Factor V deficiency
Hello! I am 22 years old and a few months ago I got my ear pierced and it bleed for more than 10 minutes pretty steadily. I also often have bleeding gums when I brush my teeth and my nose bleeds ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!! I have been dealing with the nose bleeds for 2 or 3 years. My periods have always been heavy, same with my mom and grandma. I have had 3 generations of hysterectomy on my mom's side (my maternal great grandmother, my maternal grandmother, and my mom) because of complications with periods etc I was put on birth control young to counter some of this family history. My maternal grandfather died of a brain anyurism when he was in his late 30's. Anyway my doctor told me when I get pregnant to be checked for Factor V deficiency. Should I get checked sooner? I'm not planning on having children for a few years and my nosebleeds are increasing in frequency. Is there anything I can do to help myself clot faster when I get a nosebleed or a cut? I notice when I knick myself shaving my legs or scatch my hand it takes me a while to stop bleeding, also I bruise super easily (so does my mother). Thank you for your help!
How are you? Factor V deficiency presents with bruising, nose and mouth bleeds and  menorrhagia.  Diagnosis is made through activated partial thromboplastin time (aPTT) test, prothrombin time (PT) test and thrombin clotting time (TCT) test.  This can be confirmed with a factor V assay.  You can have this checked if your symptoms do not resolve. Talk to your doctor about this.Take care and do keep us posted.
Well I definitely have those symptoms, but should I get tested now or just when I want to have a child? I've heard during childbirth is when it is the most dangerous. Thank you so much!
Thanks for the update. You can have this checked now and confirm the diagnosis to ease any anxiety. Since this is an inherited disorder, there is no known prevention. However, the outlook is good with diagnosis and proper treatment, which is fresh blood plasma or fresh frozen plasma infusions during a bleeding episode or after surgery. Take care and best regards.