Rare Diseases Community
Fever of Unknown Origin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to rare diseases and disorders. Some example include: Aarskog syndrome, Acoustic Neuroma, Angelman Syndrome, Behcet Syndrome, Bell’s Palsy, Canavan Disease, Carbon Baby Syndrome, Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, Chromosome Monosomy Disorders, Chromosome Trisomy Disorders, Devic's Disease, Dystonia, Ewing’s Sarcoma, Fragile X Syndrome, Immune Thrombocytopenia, Kawasaki Syndrome,Maple Syrup Urine Disease, Mastocytosis, McCune Albright syndrome, Pachygyria, Polycystic Kidney Disease, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Reiter’s Syndrome, Sickle cell anemia, Sturge-Weber syndrome, Trisomy Disorders, Usher Syndrome, Xanthinuria, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

Fever of Unknown Origin

I'm writing here because I'm at a point where I have no idea what to do next or where to go.

I have had a fever for the last 6 months.  It ranges from 99.5 to 100.3.  I've tracked it every single day for the last 3 months (once I realized it was not going away).

Doctors have tested me for hormonal issues, thyroid, west nile, malaria, (even though I haven't been out of the country in 10 years).  Every time they draw blood and do a "catch all" blood test for infection and inflammation, it comes up with elevated numbers--yet they cannot figure out exactly what it is.

They have done preliminary tests for cancer, lymphoma.  

When my fever is lower (99.5 range) I do ok.  When it nears the 100 range, I'm exhausted and fatigued.

I have no cold/flu symptoms.  No sore throat, runny nose, cough.  My ears are fine.  My urine is fine (no UTI).  

The only other health issues I've had have to do with my GI and they aren't sure these two things are related.

Taking hormones (birth control or the hormones to induce a period) cause me to have enteritis and there is a blockage in the lower intestine (and I cannot pass stool).  When I stop the hormones, the enteritis goes away.  

For this I've had a colonoscopy and even swallowed a camera.  Everything came back fine "inside" my GI system, so they were thinking it was something on the outside pushing in during these episodes.

The fevers began after my first episode of enteritis.  

I'm sorry if this is so rambly.  I'm just trying to remember all the facts/tests, etc.

I feel like they're grasping at straws now--just doing the same blood tests over and over.  I honestly don't know where to go or what to suggest to my doctors.

Thank you for reading.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Were you able to find the cause of your fever? I'm sorry to hear what you have been through last year and I do understand how it is to be on the dark. But the fact that the blood tests indicated an infection would have warranted medical treatment. Take care and hope to hear from you soon.
Have they checked for Epstein-Barr Virus? Or strep? I have strep and I have ran a low grade fever for 6 months. Some people can have it with no symptoms. I also had the EBV for 6-8 months 5 years ago and it caused a low grade fever and fatigue. With no other symptoms.
Just some ideas....
I hope you feel better soon...
Jen
One more thing? Have they done a stool sample to check for infection or parasites?

j