Rare Diseases Community
Help w/ a diagnosis??
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to rare diseases and disorders. Some example include: Aarskog syndrome, Acoustic Neuroma, Angelman Syndrome, Behcet Syndrome, Bell’s Palsy, Canavan Disease, Carbon Baby Syndrome, Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, Chromosome Monosomy Disorders, Chromosome Trisomy Disorders, Devic's Disease, Dystonia, Ewing’s Sarcoma, Fragile X Syndrome, Immune Thrombocytopenia, Kawasaki Syndrome,Maple Syrup Urine Disease, Mastocytosis, McCune Albright syndrome, Pachygyria, Polycystic Kidney Disease, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Reiter’s Syndrome, Sickle cell anemia, Sturge-Weber syndrome, Trisomy Disorders, Usher Syndrome, Xanthinuria, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Help w/ a diagnosis??

Has anyone every had or heard of a problem where your legs literally lock up like steel bars and refuse to move/release/walk? Can happen for hours, for days at a time... then they release on their own and you are fine and walking again as if nothing every happened? I have a 17 yr old with this ongoing problem for a year now and no answers as she does not fit into any text book diagnosis 100%. Anyone?? Thank you! TLG
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
995833_tn?1375604252
'stiff person syndrome' is one such.
Blank
2015003_tn?1330864621
Sounds like severe muscle spasms or muscle cramps to me. At the end of the day when I first get in to bed and I'm trying to relax, my legs will tighten up then lock up straight out and it hurts! Once I'm able to finally relax then my legs relax and unlock. I believe it's because my body is tired from sitting and holding itself up all day that once it is allowed to finally relax it just has a hard time doing so.
Blank
Thank you.
Blank
Thank you for your thoughts.
Blank
it sounds musculat..although my daughter has a syrinx in her spinal cord that can affect the lower part of the body determining where the problem lies..and also is very treatable
Blank
This sounds like "stiff person syndrome"  a rare neurologic autoimmune disorder.  A google search will pull up quite a bit of information.  A good neurologist or immunologist may be able to help.... Best of luck ...
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Rare Diseases Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...