Rare Diseases Community
How can I cope with this news? Parasite of the brain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to rare diseases and disorders. Some example include: Aarskog syndrome, Acoustic Neuroma, Angelman Syndrome, Behcet Syndrome, Bell’s Palsy, Canavan Disease, Carbon Baby Syndrome, Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, Chromosome Monosomy Disorders, Chromosome Trisomy Disorders, Devic's Disease, Dystonia, Ewing’s Sarcoma, Fragile X Syndrome, Immune Thrombocytopenia, Kawasaki Syndrome,Maple Syrup Urine Disease, Mastocytosis, McCune Albright syndrome, Pachygyria, Polycystic Kidney Disease, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Reiter’s Syndrome, Sickle cell anemia, Sturge-Weber syndrome, Trisomy Disorders, Usher Syndrome, Xanthinuria, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

Last evening I got the news from my neurologist that I have a tapeworm infection that has spread to my brain (cerebellum)  and it is horrifying, terrifying. certainly the most surreal thing I've ever experienced. I have no idea how this happened to me.  

What's worse is that the neurologist just dropped it on me over the phone without an outline for treatment. He said to just wait for him to call after he receives more MRI results.  I thought it was MS since the symptoms are quite similar.

Has this happened to anyone?  how did you cope with the fear and anxiety?  I've never been so scared. Please help.

Yours,
N
What your doctor may be meaning is neurocysticercosis which is tissue infection after exposure to eggs of Taenia solium, the pork tapeworm.  Neuroimaging with CT or MRI is the most useful method of diagnosis. Antiparasitic treatment should be given in combination with corticosteroids and anticonvulsants and you should consult your neurologist and get it prescribed.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you so much for the information.  I have just had a blood test for the antibody to Taenia solium, which came back negative. I will have more tests this week, but so far MRI has found only one cyst in my brain and spinal column.  I don't know how I could have gotten this since I don't eat pork, but I will update when I know more.  And, thank you again! Your reply means a lot.
N