Rare Diseases Community
ITP and shrinking red cells in toddler
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to rare diseases and disorders. Some example include: Aarskog syndrome, Acoustic Neuroma, Angelman Syndrome, Behcet Syndrome, Bell’s Palsy, Canavan Disease, Carbon Baby Syndrome, Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, Chromosome Monosomy Disorders, Chromosome Trisomy Disorders, Devic's Disease, Dystonia, Ewing’s Sarcoma, Fragile X Syndrome, Immune Thrombocytopenia, Kawasaki Syndrome,Maple Syrup Urine Disease, Mastocytosis, McCune Albright syndrome, Pachygyria, Polycystic Kidney Disease, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Reiter’s Syndrome, Sickle cell anemia, Sturge-Weber syndrome, Trisomy Disorders, Usher Syndrome, Xanthinuria, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

ITP and shrinking red cells in toddler

2 months ago my 2 year old son was diagnosed with ITP when his platelet level dropped to 4,000. He was administered IVIG for treatment, and his platelets have increased and have remained in the 150,000-160,000 range. He has been having his blood checked about every 3-4 weeks to monitor his platelets. At his last visit we were told that his platelets were still ok, but now his red blood cells are small. They said his iron levels look normal and they will check his blood again in 3-4 weeks. My concern is that we were told in the beginning that we didn't have to be concerned about leukemia unless we would see issues with his red or white cells. Is it possible that the shrinking red blood cells are caused by the ITP? What else can cause small red blood cells when iron levels are normal?