ITP and shrinking red cells in toddler
2 months ago my 2 year old son was diagnosed with ITP when his platelet level dropped to 4,000. He was administered IVIG for treatment, and his platelets have increased and have remained in the 150,000-160,000 range. He has been having his blood checked about every 3-4 weeks to monitor his platelets. At his last visit we were told that his platelets were still ok, but now his red blood cells are small. They said his iron levels look normal and they will check his blood again in 3-4 weeks. My concern is that we were told in the beginning that we didn't have to be concerned about leukemia unless we would see issues with his red or white cells. Is it possible that the shrinking red blood cells are caused by the ITP? What else can cause small red blood cells when iron levels are normal?
I am surprised that you have no comments. I have a 13 month old grand daughter that was found with 4000 platelets on her 12 month check up. She was administered IVIG and like yours. her platets rose. Now the IVIG is coming out of her system and her platlets are dropping rapidly. We are looking at going back in the hospital in a couple of days. Her white count and H&H look fine so far.

I am wondering what your outcome has been so far. Hope to hear from you and I hope is all well.