Rare Diseases Community
I'm really worried I have Naegleria fowleri.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to rare diseases and disorders. Some example include: Aarskog syndrome, Acoustic Neuroma, Angelman Syndrome, Behcet Syndrome, Bell’s Palsy, Canavan Disease, Carbon Baby Syndrome, Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, Chromosome Monosomy Disorders, Chromosome Trisomy Disorders, Devic's Disease, Dystonia, Ewing’s Sarcoma, Fragile X Syndrome, Immune Thrombocytopenia, Kawasaki Syndrome,Maple Syrup Urine Disease, Mastocytosis, McCune Albright syndrome, Pachygyria, Polycystic Kidney Disease, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Reiter’s Syndrome, Sickle cell anemia, Sturge-Weber syndrome, Trisomy Disorders, Usher Syndrome, Xanthinuria, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

Even though I have no headache or stiff neck, possibly a very weak headache from worrying about this, but what are the chances of me getting this? I know it's very rare, but I swam in lake superior in shallow water with a very warm air to water ratio on August 1st I'm very worried about this. Last Saturday I had a fever and upset stomach, pain in my stomach thought it was appendicitis or something then got nauseated probably through worrying especially finding out about this amoeba. I went to the doctors on tuesday and they took a blood test and urine test with both coming back fine, but I read in order to detect this parasite is to take fluid from the spine and check for it. Would there be any way it would show up in my blood or something if I did have this? Thanks.
Anyone help?
Can anyone comment on this please?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Naegleria fowleri is the agent of primary amebic (amoebic) meningoencephalitis. The disease usually affects children and young adults by swimming in infected fresh water. You are right in saying that definitive diagnosis is by rapidly examining one or two drops of fresh cerebrospinal fluid under a light microscope or from culturing the CSF or brain tissue. The disease appears with the sudden onset of bifrontal or bitemporal headache, fever, nausea, vomiting, and stiff neck which progress rapidly to lethargy, confusion, and coma. Talk to your doctor about this for proper evaluation. Take care and regards.
I went swimming 5 days ago in a lake, i dont think any water went up my nose, but i did swallow/choke on some 2 or 3 times. I wasnt really worried until i saw the news, I live in Texas, so the lake water was warm. I thought i was in the clear until one article said it can take up to 12 days for it to kill you.
Maybe I am paranoid, but i would rather be paranoid then die in a couple of days, since you almost never know you have it until it is too late, and there has only been one successful cure for it. Should i pay to go to the Doctor just in case, or should i wait and see if i get any of the symtoms (symptoms)? What are the symtoms (symptoms)? Any advice would help, Thanks
Avatar_dr_f_tn
As mentioned from the other post, the initial symptoms include, but are not limited to, changes in taste and smell, headache, fever, nausea, vomiting, and stiff neck. Secondary symptoms include confusion, hallucinations, lack of attention, ataxia, and seizures. After the start of symptoms, the disease progresses rapidly over 3 to 7 days. Check with your doctor if you have these symptoms and to ease any anxiety. Take care and do keep us posted.
I've been sick for 2 weeks and had a stool test positive for charcoal crystals
I am having bitemporal headaches, nausea, fever, no smell, exhaustion, lack of attention.  my WBC, MCV were slightly high- do I have some kind of amoeba infection?
a few months ago I had a red rash all over my abdomen and front and nausea/vomiting, difficulty thinking and have had blood in my stool for 15 years
I was put on 10 days of flagyl and don't know if I need paramomycin and nitrazoxamide?