Rare Diseases Community
Naegleria fowleri and other rare things in water

This patient support community is for discussions relating to rare diseases and disorders. Some example include: Aarskog syndrome, Acoustic Neuroma, Angelman Syndrome, Behcet Syndrome, Bell’s Palsy, Canavan Disease, Carbon Baby Syndrome, Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, Chromosome Monosomy Disorders, Chromosome Trisomy Disorders, Devic's Disease, Dystonia, Ewing’s Sarcoma, Fragile X Syndrome, Immune Thrombocytopenia, Kawasaki Syndrome,Maple Syrup Urine Disease, Mastocytosis, McCune Albright syndrome, Pachygyria, Polycystic Kidney Disease, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Reiter’s Syndrome, Sickle cell anemia, Sturge-Weber syndrome, Trisomy Disorders, Usher Syndrome, Xanthinuria, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

My parents have well water and are constantly bringing veggies washed in well water to my house.  Today even though the ziploc bag they were in was dry on the inside I asked them to take them back b/c of everything I have heard on the news about freshwater and amoebas and then other things.  Should I be concerned about foods washed in well water or only recreational use of freshwater?

Also my parents live in SWVA mountains and it is a ground well not sure what temperature the water is underground but I do know the water hasn't been tested recently but no one has ever gotten sick from it and all the houses around them are on well water - there own private not my parents.

I dont let my kids drink it or bathe in it but what about food that is washed in it then towel dry?  Coukd this cause PAM if touched?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
There are some journals that present with the same issue. A survey of drinking water supply wells in Arizona determined that wells can be colonized and may be an unrecognized source of this organism.( ref: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/14/9/07-1076_article.htm) You could try to have a PCR done to make sure that there is nothing to be worried about with respect to your parent's well. You could also message the authors in the article  in the link above. Take care and best regards.