Rare Diseases Community
Nausea after every meal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to rare diseases and disorders. Some example include: Aarskog syndrome, Acoustic Neuroma, Angelman Syndrome, Behcet Syndrome, Bell’s Palsy, Canavan Disease, Carbon Baby Syndrome, Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, Chromosome Monosomy Disorders, Chromosome Trisomy Disorders, Devic's Disease, Dystonia, Ewing’s Sarcoma, Fragile X Syndrome, Immune Thrombocytopenia, Kawasaki Syndrome,Maple Syrup Urine Disease, Mastocytosis, McCune Albright syndrome, Pachygyria, Polycystic Kidney Disease, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Reiter’s Syndrome, Sickle cell anemia, Sturge-Weber syndrome, Trisomy Disorders, Usher Syndrome, Xanthinuria, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

Nausea after every meal

hi,
I am 28 yrs & I suffer from a nausea immediately after eating anything especially a full fledge meal (breakfast, lunch & dinner). I have been having this problem for the past 10 years. Every time after I eat I have a strong nausea which lasts for about 30 - 45 mins and then subsides by itself. I try my level best not to throw-up but if the nausea is too strong and if the situation demands then I throw up & this makes me feel fine. I have been to a lot of doctors over the past decade. But no one has really been able to figure out what the problem is. Over the years I have done the following tests:
1) Barium Meal follow Through
2) Endoscopy for h pylori
3) Blood tests to check vitamin B levels
4) Stomach x - rays

Well, some doctors pointed out that it could be a psychological problem and so I had even been seeing a psychiatrist for around 3 years. It did help to get my confidence back to eat at public places. But I was never completely out of it. He had asked me to practice yoga & breathing exercises which I am for the past 2 months.

The problem is so bad that I had completely withdrawn form all social activities with the fear or throwing up or wanting to throw up after eating in public. I had completely stopped eating out at restaurants, cafes and other public places due to this fear. However, over years I have been building up confidence and have started going out to eat. However, the thoughts still haunt me that "what if I have to throw up?"

I am unsure whether this is a psychological or a physical problem. Because I have a nausea even after I eat at home. I always have to have a mint of some other candy after a meal to control the nausea. And always have to carry mints in my pocket just in case. I am so dependent on these mints that not carrying them with me makes me feel nauseous.

Please help, as I have lived with this for too long now and it has taken away crucial years of my life. I want to start living again.

Best Regards,

gd
Hi, recently i have felt nauseas after eating as well, my doctor said that’s because i had to much stomach acid and she put me on omeprazole 40mg. It wasn’t heart burn but more like acid reflux but it didn’t always come up. Anyway that seems to have fixed it. For me it got to the point where i would stop eating, which made it worse. It maybe something like that which is very simple and easy to fix.
Good Luck