Rare Diseases Community
Need Thoughts on what this could be.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to rare diseases and disorders. Some example include: Aarskog syndrome, Acoustic Neuroma, Angelman Syndrome, Behcet Syndrome, Bell’s Palsy, Canavan Disease, Carbon Baby Syndrome, Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, Chromosome Monosomy Disorders, Chromosome Trisomy Disorders, Devic's Disease, Dystonia, Ewing’s Sarcoma, Fragile X Syndrome, Immune Thrombocytopenia, Kawasaki Syndrome,Maple Syrup Urine Disease, Mastocytosis, McCune Albright syndrome, Pachygyria, Polycystic Kidney Disease, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Reiter’s Syndrome, Sickle cell anemia, Sturge-Weber syndrome, Trisomy Disorders, Usher Syndrome, Xanthinuria, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

Need Thoughts on what this could be.

My husband is a senior and has a skin condition that acts up only in the winter at night, not in the day time.  They are like eruptions that have intense burning like a cigarette being held against his arm.  When they erupt, they itch intensely and he gets no relief until he gets them bleeding to get the yellowish liquid out.  Then he ices to stop the itching.  They are on one arm, or the other, always in the same exact spot (the back of the arm about an inch below the elbow) and when he presses on his arm in that spot, he says it is tender all the way to the bone.  He can not get a doctor around here to be interested enough to do anything.  One doctor did take a swab when they were acting up but the swab "was misplaced" by the lab.  I have been searching online pictures and descriptions and haven't found anything that really matches.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks.
Hello

Eczema - My four year old's eczema seems to always bother him more so at night. He'll wake up in the middle of the night screaming and intensly scratching himself.

Shingles - I don't know too much about it, but it does sound familiar.

Sorry I couldn't be much more help!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How is your husband? The skin lesion can be due to irritation, allergic reaction, skin conditions such as dermatitis, eczema, hives and other medical issues like anemia, liver and kidney conditions. It is important that direct clinical examination and further diagnostics be done to determine the underlying cause. Culture of the discharge must be repeated if the first sample was misplaced. He may also benefit from a referral to a dermatologist or skin specialist. Treatment will depend on the underlying cause. Keep the area clean and dry and tell him to avoid scratching to prevent secondary bacterial infection. Take care and do keep us posted.