Rare Diseases Community
On going mystery for over a year now.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to rare diseases and disorders. Some example include: Aarskog syndrome, Acoustic Neuroma, Angelman Syndrome, Behcet Syndrome, Bell’s Palsy, Canavan Disease, Carbon Baby Syndrome, Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, Chromosome Monosomy Disorders, Chromosome Trisomy Disorders, Devic's Disease, Dystonia, Ewing’s Sarcoma, Fragile X Syndrome, Immune Thrombocytopenia, Kawasaki Syndrome,Maple Syrup Urine Disease, Mastocytosis, McCune Albright syndrome, Pachygyria, Polycystic Kidney Disease, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Reiter’s Syndrome, Sickle cell anemia, Sturge-Weber syndrome, Trisomy Disorders, Usher Syndrome, Xanthinuria, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

On going mystery for over a year now.

Since the first of Oct last year I have been dealing with a "skin condition" that has frequent flare ups that are only getting worse. When it first started, it was on the underside of my wrists and has slowly spread to now include my entire body. It is like an extremely itchy rash with some areas, particulary on my left forearm, looking pitted. The flareups will last until my doctor puts me on a round of several various steroidal type meds and then will remain absent only for a few days before returning. The last two times the doc put me on these meds, the rash began to come back within a few days BEFORE I was finished taking the medicine. The itching is so extreme that for the past 4 months I have had to start taking sleeping pills at night just to get any sleep since the itching is 20 times worse at night then during the day. I have went through and changed everything in the house from my personal hygene products, my husbands, and all cleaning supplies etc.

When this first started, I had initially thought it was nerves since I had just met my husband at that time and my 18 yr old son left for boot camp with the navy, all within a week. I have also went to a dermatologist and they say it is a contact dermatitis but I dont see how that can be since I have changed everything I use and many of the things were ones that I had used for years. This is really starting to get to me because I am usually itching so badly that I don't want to leave the house because I will find myself bleeding all over from scratching myself without realizing it. I really need some help with this because I don't know how much longer I can take this itching.

Thank you
  • itching?
    I have been itching mostly on my face for months and I f...[more]
  • unknown bites (1 replies):
    About 6 mo ago, my daughter started getting "bites" on h...[more]
I have the same problem,i don't know why i attack myself constantly i consider my fingernails a deadly weapon against myself. I don't seem to be able to stop the scratching, my skin looks horrible & feels even worse, i don't know how to stop the pain that i'm causing myself. if you find a solution for this living hell that we're in please let me know!
Did you ever consider seeing an allergerist and calling up your water company and asking them how much chemicals they put in the water? Sometimes the slightest changes can trigger an allergic reaction the problem with many doctors is that they never try to diagnose the problem they just give you something to deal with it. Doctors clearly dont do there jobs, if you saw a dermatologist he/she will just give you medicine benadryll and act like they did you a favor when you didnt go to the doctor to get Benadryll you went to the doctor to actually help you find out the problem. Most doctors dont get the concept!
You are correct in saying this is a living hell. I used to love to keep my nails done, but now I have to keep them as short as possible otherwise I am only scratching myself worse. The pain is awefull because of the constant scratches. I have found at times I with itch myself so hard that I end up with horrible bruises all over and look like someone beat on me for a few hours.

To: 2010adam

I have had too much experience with allergests due to being an asthmatic. Also, the doctors I have been too have done much more then just give me benedryl. My personal doctor has actually been very helpful and understanding on the deal and been willing to try and treat for many of the various possibilities I have come across. As for the water, I got this "rash" in October of last year, I didn't move into my husbands house until late November, so wasn't in contact with this water sourse until after the break out of it. So I really doubt its the water.

To: loidiasis

What type of parasitic epidemic are you talking about? And yes, I have been treated already for several parasites, all in the process of trying to figure out what is going on. My family doctor is very baffled by this.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? It has been 5 months already and I hope to hear that you are feeling better from this skin condition you mentioned. Were you able to have this re-evaluated by your dermatologist? It is always recommended to avoid scratching the lesions to prevent secondary infection ( though it is pretty hard to do so because of the vicious cycle of scratching and itching). Take care and hope to hear from you soon.