Rare Diseases Community
Pulmonary fibrosis vs LAM
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to rare diseases and disorders. Some example include: Aarskog syndrome, Acoustic Neuroma, Angelman Syndrome, Behcet Syndrome, Bell’s Palsy, Canavan Disease, Carbon Baby Syndrome, Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, Chromosome Monosomy Disorders, Chromosome Trisomy Disorders, Devic's Disease, Dystonia, Ewing’s Sarcoma, Fragile X Syndrome, Immune Thrombocytopenia, Kawasaki Syndrome,Maple Syrup Urine Disease, Mastocytosis, McCune Albright syndrome, Pachygyria, Polycystic Kidney Disease, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Reiter’s Syndrome, Sickle cell anemia, Sturge-Weber syndrome, Trisomy Disorders, Usher Syndrome, Xanthinuria, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Pulmonary fibrosis vs LAM

What is the difference between these lung disorders.  My heart scan showed lung cysts, my lung lining looks like Swiss cheese.  The radiologist said it looked like LAM.  A pulmonary doctor said fibrosis.  Neither is good but what is the difference. Not having symptoms at all.  
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1711789_tn?1361311607
Hi there!

Cysts are spaces lined by a layer of cells/ connective tissue filled with air of fluid. Swiss cheese pattern is seen with emphysema. LAM is disordered proliferation of smooth muscles in the respiratory tract, while fibrosis refers to deposition of fibrous tissue in response to inflammation/ injury.  While all the conditions could co-exist, it may require a detailed radiological study for an accurate diagnosis. I would suggest discussing the situation, the possible causes and the suggested management plan in detail with your treating pulmonologist.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Blank
Thank you for the response.  The pulmonologist had me do a lung ct scan, bloodwork and pulmonary function tests.  I see him may 8 for results.  I have never smoked and live in non smoking household.  Never had lung ailments and had bronchitis once.  A bit shocking to think I have any of those conditions . . .
Blank
Got the diagnosis. It is LAM.  Very shocking. More tests ahead.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Rare Diseases Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank