Rare Diseases Community
Rabies SCARED

This patient support community is for discussions relating to rare diseases and disorders. Some example include: Aarskog syndrome, Acoustic Neuroma, Angelman Syndrome, Behcet Syndrome, Bell’s Palsy, Canavan Disease, Carbon Baby Syndrome, Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, Chromosome Monosomy Disorders, Chromosome Trisomy Disorders, Devic's Disease, Dystonia, Ewing’s Sarcoma, Fragile X Syndrome, Immune Thrombocytopenia, Kawasaki Syndrome,Maple Syrup Urine Disease, Mastocytosis, McCune Albright syndrome, Pachygyria, Polycystic Kidney Disease, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Reiter’s Syndrome, Sickle cell anemia, Sturge-Weber syndrome, Trisomy Disorders, Usher Syndrome, Xanthinuria, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

Rabies SCARED

About two months ago I was walking into a gas station and I walked between two parked cars. In the car to the left was a German Shepherd that I didn't notice. As I walked by, the dog reached out of the half opened window and got a good bite into my left arm. At the time, I really had no clue about the serious nature of rabies. I didn't even ask the owners for info or anything (I was overwhelmed and in shock at the moment).

When I went to my Primary Care Doctor, she told me that I don't need to worry about rabies since there hasn't been a Dog to Human transmission of rabies in Memphis, TN in three decades. That eased my mind for a couple of weeks. A couple of days ago, I started to have flu-like symptoms which sent my mind and body into a positive feedback loop of paralyzing fear and anxiety about having rabies. I went back to my doctor to request that I be vaccinated. They said that I need to just rest assured that I don't have rabies. They also said that the Rabies Vaccine can be very toxic and can even cause death in rare circumstances. Now I am in a constant state of Panic. The only time I feel okay is when I'm asleep. I wake up in a Panic. I feel hot, yet I have no fever. I am sore all over. I feel light-headed, confused and disoriented. I don't feel like myself. I keep thinking I am experiencing the onset of the final stage of Rabies infection. I don't know what to do. I am simply frightened.

-Johnny Jamz
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi Johnny,
How are you? It has been more than 3 months since you were bitten by the dog. Do you have other symptoms present? I agree with your doctor that if there has been no recorded rabies transmission in your area for the last decades and if there are strict  laws implemented on such health issue as rabies, the chance of having the rabies virus is low. To ease any worry, you could also check with the dog owner and see if the dog is okay since animals with the virus usually do not survive. Take care and do keep us posted.