Rare Diseases Community
Random swelling

This patient support community is for discussions relating to rare diseases and disorders. Some example include: Aarskog syndrome, Acoustic Neuroma, Angelman Syndrome, Behcet Syndrome, Bell’s Palsy, Canavan Disease, Carbon Baby Syndrome, Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, Chromosome Monosomy Disorders, Chromosome Trisomy Disorders, Devic's Disease, Dystonia, Ewing’s Sarcoma, Fragile X Syndrome, Immune Thrombocytopenia, Kawasaki Syndrome,Maple Syrup Urine Disease, Mastocytosis, McCune Albright syndrome, Pachygyria, Polycystic Kidney Disease, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Reiter’s Syndrome, Sickle cell anemia, Sturge-Weber syndrome, Trisomy Disorders, Usher Syndrome, Xanthinuria, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

Random swelling

for over a week now, I have been suffering from random swelling.   It started with the right side of my lower lip. over a 18 hour period the swelling "migrated" from right to left.  When the left side of my lip was swollen, the swelling was gone on the right side.  The following morning all swelling was gone.   That evening I developed swelling in the genitals.  Swelling lasted about 24 hours.  I had a full day with no new symptons, and then my righ foot swelled up.  The foot swelling was quite painful, but began subsiding after about 12 hours.  Unfortunately my the swelling moved to my left foot.  I also experienced some swelling in my left cheek during this same period.  After about 12 hours swelling began to subside, at least enough that I could stand to walk on it again.  My left knee began to swell.  Began to subside after about 15 hours, when my right knee swelled.  Again, the swelling lasted about 15 - 20 hours.  Currently the upper left side of my face is swollen (left eye swollen shut). The swelling reached its peak about 8 hrs ago and is now starting to subside ( I can force  a peak out of my left eye),  
What could cause these symptoms?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Do you still experience the swelling? Swelling is usually associated with inflammation and infection. It usually responds to antibiotic if it is a bacterial infection. If it persists, have this evaluated by your doctor for proper management. Direct clinical examination and your medical history will help determine the underlying cause. Additional tests like blood tests and ct scan may be indicated. Take care and do keep us posted.
I just began getting the same kind of swelling. I have only had it on my face and it moves around from left to right side of my upper or lower lip. Then it crawls its way up my cheeks and to my eyes. Never both sides at once. It moves around every few hours going down then rising again on the other side or area. It even disappears for one or two hours but sure enough the tingling in my lips starts and the swelling starts all over again. I'm very scared I've never had anything like this happen before. Its only just started in the last few days. I have no other swelling on my body only my face. It does not look like hives, there's no redness or itchiness just swelling and I forgot to mention a numbness! It feel like when you go to the dentist and get an injection. I've taken benadril but didnt help. I've never had any allergies either. I am very stressed out most of the time also tired and dont get much rest. I'm wondering if it has something to do with that or my age (43) and the fact that I have become overweight?. I dont know. I have never heard of these symptoms before and after reading of so many people with similar symptoms and no solution. I will keep looking out for more of this. I'm definitely going to a doctor but right now I have no insurance and I dont want to waste any time or money. I need to go to the right kind of doctor. I was thinking maybe a neurologist? In case this has to do with nerves I dont know I need advice.
i understand your pain. i have struggled with the same symptons for over 3 years now and have seen over 16 doctors for it (mostly specialists.) i can not even count how many times i have had blood work and allergy testing done for it and all came back inconclusive. i can tell you it most likely doesn't have anything to do with your age though i am 21 and have suffered from this for years now. i have heard doctors say that stress can worsen the symptoms though. they have also told me that it is most likely an autoimmune disorder.  good luck getting diagnosed.i have just come to terms with having to live with it.  
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Do you have any history of allergies or are you taking any medications right now? Facial swelling or build up of fluid in the tissues of the face may be caused by an allergic reaction, angioedema, cellulitis, drug reactions, sinusitis, trauma, and even obesity.  Cold compress may help reduce swelling. And raising  the head of the bed or using extra pillows may help reduce facial swelling. Have this checked by your doctor if you experience sudden, painful, or severe facial swelling, if it persists or gets worse over time, difficulty breathing and fever. Diagnostic tests may be done depending on other symptoms present and results of the physical examination. Take care and do keep us posted.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? I'm sorry to hear what you have been through for the past 3 years. If it is autoimmune, what tests were done? How about your family history? Hang on and do not lose hope. Rare conditions like this which can not be diagnosed immediately needs further observation and evaluation. Take care and do keep us posted.
I have the same symptoms. This happened to me a couple random times throughout childhood (my tongue twice, lip, and feet a few times)...but for the last 5 months it has been happening very frequently. At least once a week. I've had swelling in my lips (the swelling migrates like some described above), cheeks, ear, random circular areas on upper arm, hands and wrist, and bottom of my feet. Allergy doctor tested my thyroid and it was normal. He says it is stress and gave me Hydroxyzine. Doesn't work too well though...I end up sleeping all day and am useless...meanwhile the swelling gradually goes down within 48-72 hours. I am 21 year old healthy female with no other health problems. This is a very big inconvenience in my life. When the swelling is on my face I look like a monster and can't possibly go out in public...causing me to miss class, work, etc. The only thing I can think of is hereditary angioedema, which requires a blood test to diagnose. I can't get back into the doctor until over a month from now. Wish me luck.
To all who are suffering...I feel your pain and annoyance :(
hi ,
i too developed some of the same symptoms and it's so unbelivably pain full, i'm on pain medication daily just to be able to live normally. it is so weird not to be able to pin point an injury. it started during my last pregnancy . on multiple times that i visited the hospital one doctor even suggested i could be allergic to my baby's saliva. i did not see any thing that could say he is right. i did notice how ever that it goes and comes . some times a whole2-3 week with out a swelling  and when it happens it starts simple(just piece of my lip or eye) and then a few days into the episode my tongue and throat (scary, usually a hospital case as im afraid of choking) then my foot or hands.  please if any one knows or think any think that can help with  this situation just say some thing.
My boyfriend has been swelling randomly in various places on his face for a couple years the doctors don't knowt anything but in the last year or so it maybe his finger or thumb the bottoms of his feet an now his throat which scares me to death I walked in the other day an asked who he had been fighting with his face was that bad he alsoe showed me a spot under his arm nothen really helps it it just has to run its course then it goes down on its own slowly the swellings getting worse now I'm scared he ll be asleep an it'll suffocate him if anyone can help or have answers please share.              Thanks,kizzie
I have also been having random swelling. It started just under my elbow on the side of my forearm then moved to inside my forearm. The next day it was in my right palm and through out the day my whole hand swelled. Now it is in bit wrists with are very painful and stiff they feel locked. And in te post few hours under my righ foot has swollen too even tho I had my feet up and was resting
Hey you guys, I am here in Spain and I am 48 with the same type of swelling. Two days ago I bumped my right eyebrow on a cabinet and two days later that area bulged out swelling last night. By morning it traveled down to my eye and made it swoll shut, Am I a hemopheliac of sorts? Is this serious? What will happen if I don't have money to see a doctor? This seems to happen seveal times a month, swelling in my lower face, sometimes in my foot, and always the swelling shifts around to the other side of my body.....
I have the same swelling, 2 yrs now.  Treatment with steroids  Any other course of action..  Allergies and blood test came back clear.   Dr.  say see ya in 2 months...

Thanks,

Larry