Random swelling
for over a week now, I have been suffering from random swelling.   It started with the right side of my lower lip. over a 18 hour period the swelling "migrated" from right to left.  When the left side of my lip was swollen, the swelling was gone on the right side.  The following morning all swelling was gone.   That evening I developed swelling in the genitals.  Swelling lasted about 24 hours.  I had a full day with no new symptons, and then my righ foot swelled up.  The foot swelling was quite painful, but began subsiding after about 12 hours.  Unfortunately my the swelling moved to my left foot.  I also experienced some swelling in my left cheek during this same period.  After about 12 hours swelling began to subside, at least enough that I could stand to walk on it again.  My left knee began to swell.  Began to subside after about 15 hours, when my right knee swelled.  Again, the swelling lasted about 15 - 20 hours.  Currently the upper left side of my face is swollen (left eye swollen shut). The swelling reached its peak about 8 hrs ago and is now starting to subside ( I can force  a peak out of my left eye),  
What could cause these symptoms?
How are you? Do you still experience the swelling? Swelling is usually associated with inflammation and infection. It usually responds to antibiotic if it is a bacterial infection. If it persists, have this evaluated by your doctor for proper management. Direct clinical examination and your medical history will help determine the underlying cause. Additional tests like blood tests and ct scan may be indicated. Take care and do keep us posted.
I just began getting the same kind of swelling. I have only had it on my face and it moves around from left to right side of my upper or lower lip. Then it crawls its way up my cheeks and to my eyes. Never both sides at once. It moves around every few hours going down then rising again on the other side or area. It even disappears for one or two hours but sure enough the tingling in my lips starts and the swelling starts all over again. I'm very scared I've never had anything like this happen before. Its only just started in the last few days. I have no other swelling on my body only my face. It does not look like hives, there's no redness or itchiness just swelling and I forgot to mention a numbness! It feel like when you go to the dentist and get an injection. I've taken benadril but didnt help. I've never had any allergies either. I am very stressed out most of the time also tired and dont get much rest. I'm wondering if it has something to do with that or my age (43) and the fact that I have become overweight?. I dont know. I have never heard of these symptoms before and after reading of so many people with similar symptoms and no solution. I will keep looking out for more of this. I'm definitely going to a doctor but right now I have no insurance and I dont want to waste any time or money. I need to go to the right kind of doctor. I was thinking maybe a neurologist? In case this has to do with nerves I dont know I need advice.
i understand your pain. i have struggled with the same symptons for over 3 years now and have seen over 16 doctors for it (mostly specialists.) i can not even count how many times i have had blood work and allergy testing done for it and all came back inconclusive. i can tell you it most likely doesn't have anything to do with your age though i am 21 and have suffered from this for years now. i have heard doctors say that stress can worsen the symptoms though. they have also told me that it is most likely an autoimmune disorder.  good luck getting diagnosed.i have just come to terms with having to live with it.  
How are you? Do you have any history of allergies or are you taking any medications right now? Facial swelling or build up of fluid in the tissues of the face may be caused by an allergic reaction, angioedema, cellulitis, drug reactions, sinusitis, trauma, and even obesity.  Cold compress may help reduce swelling. And raising  the head of the bed or using extra pillows may help reduce facial swelling. Have this checked by your doctor if you experience sudden, painful, or severe facial swelling, if it persists or gets worse over time, difficulty breathing and fever. Diagnostic tests may be done depending on other symptoms present and results of the physical examination. Take care and do keep us posted.
How are you? I'm sorry to hear what you have been through for the past 3 years. If it is autoimmune, what tests were done? How about your family history? Hang on and do not lose hope. Rare conditions like this which can not be diagnosed immediately needs further observation and evaluation. Take care and do keep us posted.
I have the same symptoms. This happened to me a couple random times throughout childhood (my tongue twice, lip, and feet a few times)...but for the last 5 months it has been happening very frequently. At least once a week. I've had swelling in my lips (the swelling migrates like some described above), cheeks, ear, random circular areas on upper arm, hands and wrist, and bottom of my feet. Allergy doctor tested my thyroid and it was normal. He says it is stress and gave me Hydroxyzine. Doesn't work too well though...I end up sleeping all day and am useless...meanwhile the swelling gradually goes down within 48-72 hours. I am 21 year old healthy female with no other health problems. This is a very big inconvenience in my life. When the swelling is on my face I look like a monster and can't possibly go out in public...causing me to miss class, work, etc. The only thing I can think of is hereditary angioedema, which requires a blood test to diagnose. I can't get back into the doctor until over a month from now. Wish me luck.
To all who are suffering...I feel your pain and annoyance :(
hi ,
i too developed some of the same symptoms and it's so unbelivably pain full, i'm on pain medication daily just to be able to live normally. it is so weird not to be able to pin point an injury. it started during my last pregnancy . on multiple times that i visited the hospital one doctor even suggested i could be allergic to my baby's saliva. i did not see any thing that could say he is right. i did notice how ever that it goes and comes . some times a whole2-3 week with out a swelling  and when it happens it starts simple(just piece of my lip or eye) and then a few days into the episode my tongue and throat (scary, usually a hospital case as im afraid of choking) then my foot or hands.  please if any one knows or think any think that can help with  this situation just say some thing.
My boyfriend has been swelling randomly in various places on his face for a couple years the doctors don't knowt anything but in the last year or so it maybe his finger or thumb the bottoms of his feet an now his throat which scares me to death I walked in the other day an asked who he had been fighting with his face was that bad he alsoe showed me a spot under his arm nothen really helps it it just has to run its course then it goes down on its own slowly the swellings getting worse now I'm scared he ll be asleep an it'll suffocate him if anyone can help or have answers please share.              Thanks,kizzie
I don't mean to scare you, but If his throat starts to swell inside or he ever starts to have breathing difficulties with the swelling, call an ambulance straight away.  I know someone who died from angioedema for that reason.  It is not something to be taken lightly. Your boyfriend needs to see his doctor and possibly get some treatment he can carry around with him.
I have also been having random swelling. It started just under my elbow on the side of my forearm then moved to inside my forearm. The next day it was in my right palm and through out the day my whole hand swelled. Now it is in bit wrists with are very painful and stiff they feel locked. And in te post few hours under my righ foot has swollen too even tho I had my feet up and was resting
Hey you guys, I am here in Spain and I am 48 with the same type of swelling. Two days ago I bumped my right eyebrow on a cabinet and two days later that area bulged out swelling last night. By morning it traveled down to my eye and made it swoll shut, Am I a hemopheliac of sorts? Is this serious? What will happen if I don't have money to see a doctor? This seems to happen seveal times a month, swelling in my lower face, sometimes in my foot, and always the swelling shifts around to the other side of my body.....
I have the same swelling, 2 yrs now.  Treatment with steroids  Any other course of action..  Allergies and blood test came back clear.   Dr.  say see ya in 2 months...

Thanks,

Larry
I'm 16 and I've been dealing with this same thing for 7 or 8 years now. Most of the time it happens when I'm sleeping and I'll wake up with a swollen lip or a swollen eye. I used to go to the doctors all the time and they had done many different tests to figure out what was wrong with me but they never had a clue. They prescribed different medications but they never worked. I have missed so much school and other activities just because I don't want people to see me like this. As I am writing this I'm missing school because my lip is swollen. I am very frustrated with this and have been for years and I'm hoping we can all figure out what is causing this.
Wow...I was really excited to find a page about this, and to see that other people are experiencing the same sorts of things I am, but I'm really disheartened to see what little success most of you have had with diagnosing/dealing with it. I'm currently experiencing a phenomenon for the second time in about a month and a half in which I wake up one morning with a slightly swollen/numb spot just inside my lower left lip. Over the course of the day, the swelling "migrates" across my lower lip from left to right, and by the time I go to bed, my entire lower lip is pretty severely swollen. When I wake up on morning 2, the swelling has moved into my lower right cheek, over my jaw. Over the course of that second day, the swelling begins to migrate back across my face from right to left, this time along the upper lip. By day 3, my entire lower face is swollen to the point that I look like a Simpsons character, taking the concept of duck-faced selfies to a whole new level. The progression has been identical both times. The first time was accompanied by red, hot, swollen spots at random places on my body (most significantly on both wrists) that were poison oak-level itchy, but that hasn't been present with this second episode (possibly because I've been taking Benadryl since the onset? But the Benadryl hasn't even put a dent in the migrating facial swelling. Also, the swollen parts of my face don't itch at all). I have an appointment with an allergist this coming Tuesday, but honestly, I'm not confident that they're going to be able to tell me anything conclusive. There's absolutely no pain associated with the phenomenon, but it's definitely an inconvenience. As such, I suppose it could be worse...but it's disconcerting, since something is definitely not right and I have no idea what it is. Oh, and with the first occurrence, my doctor ordered a CT scan for my face, the results of which SEEMED, initially, to indicate an infection (despite the complete lack of pain or fever). This was before the redness/itching set in on the wrists and elsewhere. Over the course of the next couple of days, my doc decided that it was probably an allergic reaction rather than an infection (hence my taking Benadryl immediately upon symptom onset this second time), but now I'm not sure.
Wow. I have the exact same thing going on right now. I wake up with a weird numb spot. Then it begins swelling. Then the swelling migrates around my face for the last week. (bottom right lip, up my jaw and cheek, across my upper right lip across to the left side..) Went to the doctor and they're stumped. Kind of upsetting to see all these other people with the same issue and no relief or answers.
With regard to my post above: I've also entertained the notion that this could be the result of a bite, perhaps from a kissing bug, which definitely exist in this area...but I've looked fairly thoroughly and can find no evidence of them in the house.
I am now 34 years old, but when I was in middle school I started the exact same swelling that you all mention.  It began in my lip and migrated to different parts of my face; often happened when I was sleeping.  I would get a 'tingly' feeling and it would feel like there was a little 'ball' under my skin that would eventually swell up pretty big.  It continued all through high school.  Every time it happened, I would go to the ER and they'd do blood work, and I must have had every allergy test possible, but never got any answers.  Finally after years, it was Cleveland Clinic who asked if I had any head trauma at the time it started, and I actually had been hit in the head with a line drive during a softball game about 2 months prior to when the swelling started.  They said I had a broken vessel in my head that when I tilted a certain way would leak into different glands in my face; and that it would go away as oddly as it came.  It went away for the most part, but to this day it still happens every once in a while.  I have found that if I don't mess with the 'tingly feeling' wherever it appears, it will not swell up too bad.  Hope this helps someone else!