Rare Diseases Community
Rhabdomyolysis and return to exercise

This patient support community is for discussions relating to rare diseases and disorders. Some example include: Aarskog syndrome, Acoustic Neuroma, Angelman Syndrome, Behcet Syndrome, Bell’s Palsy, Canavan Disease, Carbon Baby Syndrome, Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, Chromosome Monosomy Disorders, Chromosome Trisomy Disorders, Devic's Disease, Dystonia, Ewing’s Sarcoma, Fragile X Syndrome, Immune Thrombocytopenia, Kawasaki Syndrome,Maple Syrup Urine Disease, Mastocytosis, McCune Albright syndrome, Pachygyria, Polycystic Kidney Disease, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Reiter’s Syndrome, Sickle cell anemia, Sturge-Weber syndrome, Trisomy Disorders, Usher Syndrome, Xanthinuria, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

Rhabdomyolysis and return to exercise

I recently spent 5 days in the hospital with rhabdomyolysis, or what some of the doctors there called toxic myopathy.  I am still recovering and have muscle pain in my calves, feet, upper arms and unusual pain in my jaw and under my eyes.
My question is:    when is it safe to go back to my exercise program, which consists of a very intense water aerobic exercise class?
I was hospitalized after having a surgery at a large teaching hospital, and it was the conclusion of all docs that the rabdo came about because of a reaction to succynilcholine.  I had rhabdo 5 years ago after a reaction to remicade, it followed the same course, but I think I recovered a bit quicker the last time.
Thanks for your help,
Anne
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi Anne,
How are you? The outcome of rhabdomyolysis varies depending on factors such as the extent of kidney damage, medical history, and even age. However, if treatment is given soon after rhabdomyolysis begins, the risk of chronic kidney damage is usually reduced. Patients with milder cases may return to normal activity within a few weeks to a month. But some continue to have problems with fatigue and muscle pain. It is best that you discuss this with your attending physician for proper evalaution. Take care and do keep us posted.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi Anne,