Rare Diseases Community
Small Fetal head at 28 weeks. Genetic or a rare condition? What do you ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to rare diseases and disorders. Some example include: Aarskog syndrome, Acoustic Neuroma, Angelman Syndrome, Behcet Syndrome, Bell’s Palsy, Canavan Disease, Carbon Baby Syndrome, Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, Chromosome Monosomy Disorders, Chromosome Trisomy Disorders, Devic's Disease, Dystonia, Ewing’s Sarcoma, Fragile X Syndrome, Immune Thrombocytopenia, Kawasaki Syndrome,Maple Syrup Urine Disease, Mastocytosis, McCune Albright syndrome, Pachygyria, Polycystic Kidney Disease, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Reiter’s Syndrome, Sickle cell anemia, Sturge-Weber syndrome, Trisomy Disorders, Usher Syndrome, Xanthinuria, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

Small Fetal head at 28 weeks. Genetic or a rare condition? What do you think? Picture links included.

am having ultrasounds done every three weeks in a high-risk perinatal assesment facility due to an unknown cervical mass that may have been the cause for spotting early in my pregnacy. However, the mass now cannot be seen on ultrasound at 28 weeks yet another cause for concern has arisen. During my 25 week ultrasound it was noted that the female fetal head was lagging behind in growth (about the 8th percentile) while the rest of her body was growing normally. Now at 28 weeks her head is still behind in growth (one measurment three weeks behind and the other four) while her body is measuring normal for 28 weeks! There are no other markers of a problem during ultrasound and none found in genetic testing\counceling (quad screen). Her brain structure appears normal and I was told not to worry but at the same time it was suggested that I have a fetal MRI and\or amnio-centisis. I am very concerned about the outcome of this finding and would like to know what the odds are that this will eventually become a diagnosis of microsephaly? and the odds are of her head catching up in third trimester growth?

MD. Response:
Doctor's Answer by Elaine Brown, MD

Feb 12, 2009 11:55PM

To: NeedSecondOpinion

Hi!
The biggest problem with doing tests is that very often something "incidental" is found which leads to lots more tests.

Microcephaly is defined as a head circumference which is more than three standard deviations below the normal range.  I don't know if your baby's head meets criteria for that, and I'm going to bet it doesn't.

Fetal position can have a lot to do with head measurements. If the baby's head is down really deep into the mom's pelvis, the head can be compressed and look smaller than it really is-- having the MRI wil help sort this out.

You don't mention any of the major causes of mircrocephaly which also makes it less likely.  Also, you don't mention any other abnormalities which might be part of a syndrome--and  an islolated finding is less likely to be serious.

Its your call on the amnio--but they are not too bad when done by  a high risk specialist,
It is probably worth the peace of mind to do it.

Finally, does anyone in the family have a small head?  Findings like these are often familial.

It sounds like your team intends to follow up on the finding, and not just leave you hanging.  Trust your docs and ask lots of questions.

Most likely, your baby will be perfect.  What is her name?

Good luck!
Dr B

My response:
To: Elaine Brown, MD
Thank you soooooooo much for your input Dr. B! Her name is Tempest Rae. : )  My doctors agree that she does'nt meet the criteria for microsephaly but also stated that they could'nt tell me 100% that she does'nt have a problem in there. One said that smaller head size can mean smaller brain. I'm not sure if a fetal MRI can diagnose something like that. Furthermore, she has not been in the head down position when these measurments were being considered. As for a small head being familial I would'nt necessarily consider the father of my babys head small but rather elongated and maybe somewhat pointed while he is 6' 2" and very thin(always has been). I must say it is of rather odd shape! lol. As for her older sibling, almost 3 years now, I must addmit that her head is noteably small & elongated as well but proportionate with her small but long body in my opinion. People often comment on how tall and thin she is. At her last pediatric appointment I recall she was in the 10th or 20th% for weight and 70% for height. Head was within normal range but I have not been informed of this measurment lately (now don't I wonder!). I don't know if this has any real relevance in the matter at hand but here are some picture links to make judgement of head size in my unborn childs family(hope it works):

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=387082899&albumID=46254&imageID=15669986

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=387082899&albumID=1412605&imageID=19679161

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=387082899&albumID=1412605&imageID=19679163

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=387082899&albumID=46254&imageID=16228441
Hi...not being a dr....looking at the links will not be of ne help to me, but I was wondering what ur family history is.

I have a congential issue where my skull is smaller too.Mine was caused by bones fusing at my neck in the upper most point of my cervical spine.The congential fusion caused the head to misshapen and be too small.

I do not know if this is an issue for u ....but maybe something to look at.

"selma"