Rare Diseases Community
Stretch marks on son's back

This patient support community is for discussions relating to rare diseases and disorders. Some example include: Aarskog syndrome, Acoustic Neuroma, Angelman Syndrome, Behcet Syndrome, Bell’s Palsy, Canavan Disease, Carbon Baby Syndrome, Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, Chromosome Monosomy Disorders, Chromosome Trisomy Disorders, Devic's Disease, Dystonia, Ewing’s Sarcoma, Fragile X Syndrome, Immune Thrombocytopenia, Kawasaki Syndrome,Maple Syrup Urine Disease, Mastocytosis, McCune Albright syndrome, Pachygyria, Polycystic Kidney Disease, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Reiter’s Syndrome, Sickle cell anemia, Sturge-Weber syndrome, Trisomy Disorders, Usher Syndrome, Xanthinuria, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

Stretch marks on son's back

My 15 year old son has had marks, which look like stretch marks, on his back for 6-8 months. He is tall and slim and has not gained or lost weight. I have read about Marfan Syndrome and he does have quite a few of those traits, however is ther eanything else it could possibly be? Thank you.
Hi, Im now 18 years old and I have had stretch marks on my back from the age of 14, I am now starting to get them on my chest and biceps. Anyway I have researched a lot on the internet, seen my GP and lots of experts and I think the main conclusion is that they can be caused by a rapid growth spurt through the teenage years and the skin cells can not reproduce quickly enough to keep up with the growth or the body. They could also be caused by hormonal imbalance. The best thing to do is to seek a skin specialist and take their advice.
          I doubt it is anything serious, but as a piece of advice I recomend that you keep reassuring your son that they don't look too bad because my main worry was what the girls would think when I took my shirt off and I was very uncomfortable when we went out to a beach or out on a hot day and my friends took their shirts off, I used to be and still am very embarresed by them and it can be a very emoitional time and raise self awarness at a time in life when a boy should be enjoying himself.
Thank you so much for writing. That is very good information, and my son does have an appointment with a dermatologist along with all the other doctors. So I am hopeful that the marks are just caused by growth spurts.

And you are right, he is very self-conscious about taking off his shirt, It is a tough time, and I will tell him your story and hopefully it will help a little to know he is not the only one that has had to go through this.

Again, thank you so much!
Hi, My 15 year old son has the stretch marks too, he is tall and thin. I wondered if you have seen your doctor yet, and have any more information. We have an appointment next  week. I really thought it was just from growing taller quickly, but since I've googled it, I am worried about the Marfan Syndrome.
These marks could also be from Bartonella.
Bartonella Rash Photos:  
http://www.lymediseaseassociation.org/PhotoAlbum_RashBart.html

You can google for more pictures and information.
Carol
Hi -

My 16 yr old has the same thing. We have not gone to the doctor yet, and your post was the first time I've heard anything about Marfan Syndrome. He is otherwise completely healthy, and has no other marks on his body. His back is not sore or itchy. Have you had any questions answered by your doctor yet?  
Hi, Actually just finished up with most of doctors...Thank God, they have pretty much ruled out Marfans. He had his heart checked with a cardioligist, it was fine, and the doctor was very thorough and checked him for hypermobility, and  looked at his body and hands and fingers and said he was fine. Also, the eye specialist ruled it out. He does, however, have Scoliosis. It is very mild, but still have to go see ortho doctor. And lastly, going to take him to dermatologist to see if they have any ideas about the marks. But for peace of mind, I do recommend ruling out the Marfans.....let me know if you have any questions and I would be happy to help...
Hi again, I've recently started using Bio-oil which is a product designed to be used on stretch marks, scars etc. It is usually used by pregnant woman but can be used by anyone. My friend told me about it as he does bodybuilding and he said it is great for stretch marks.
They prevent new stretch marks from forming and improve the quality of current stretch marks. Google it and read reviews on the internet as it has very high ratings, I have only been using it for a week so can't really comment about how good it is but as far as reviews go it seems great as most people say it is very good and they have seen significant improvments. Only problem is its a bit pricey, you can buy it from somwhere like Boots. I have seen many products on the market for stretch marks and all reviews were not very good but this one seems great. Anyway I shall write again in about a month to tell you how I am getting on and if it has worked.
Hope that was helpful.
Thank you - good info. Will follow up with his Dr. this month and will let you know our findings.
Hi, I was reading up on Marfan syndrome and besides being tall.....and some of the other symptoms, streach marks are also a symptom of Marfan's.

I do not kow much more, but I saw it after I saw this post and wanted to add this.

Good luck
Godspeed
"selma"
my son is 15, has seven large horizontal scars across his back.  i am hoping they are stretch marks.  he has grown about 2 in with in the last mo or so.  he is also having trouble eating.  everything hurts his stomach.  he is tall and thin and loosing weight, he lost a belt notch in one wk, three belt notches in three mo.  any encouragement?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Are there other symptoms present? Is there a history of food intolerance or allergies? The abrupt weight loss warrants further evaluation by his doctor. The marks could be stretch marks because of the weight changes but to be sure have him see your doctor for proper assessment. Direct clinical examination is important. Take care and do keep us posted.
these are also symptoms of a condition i also have . it is called elhers danlos syndrome type three and can cross over into marfans too
hi i'm 16 and i have weird strech marks on my lower back and i think that they are starting to spread all over my back they are horizontal.they are not purple but the are a little pink just enought so that u can tell a difference from the good skin.i got them a few months ago. i told my parents about them but and they think it's form growing up too fast and it's true i have growen a lot.i'm 5.8 (175 cm) tall and i'm 55 kg(or something) i was always slim but now i'm told that i've gained a few pounds.2 years ago i was told to drink fish oil by a doctor to improve my weight.please help me i'm worried a lot.
p.s. will they disapear on their own or do i have to do something about them?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Are there other symptoms present? This could indeed be due to increased weight or height gain or underlying medical conditions mentioned above. Regular use of emollient or lotion may help but others have these for a long time. Have this checked by your doctor for proper evaluation. Take care and regards.
I have marfan sydrome and am very tall for my age and have tons of stretch marks please please if you think ur son may have marfan take him to a doctor I know I'm not a parent or even know you but still please read more on marfan if you really think he has it and also I know even more kids who don't look like they marfan at all and still have it. But then again I know alot of kids who look like they have it. If ur coincerned with the stretch marks please see a doctor I hope you read this and even if not I hope u found answers
HI! My son has the same thing  - he is 15 - did you ever get any answers???