Rare Diseases Community
Sudden onset of pain in both knees--unexplained

This patient support community is for discussions relating to rare diseases and disorders. Some example include: Aarskog syndrome, Acoustic Neuroma, Angelman Syndrome, Behcet Syndrome, Bell’s Palsy, Canavan Disease, Carbon Baby Syndrome, Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, Chromosome Monosomy Disorders, Chromosome Trisomy Disorders, Devic's Disease, Dystonia, Ewing’s Sarcoma, Fragile X Syndrome, Immune Thrombocytopenia, Kawasaki Syndrome,Maple Syrup Urine Disease, Mastocytosis, McCune Albright syndrome, Pachygyria, Polycystic Kidney Disease, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Reiter’s Syndrome, Sickle cell anemia, Sturge-Weber syndrome, Trisomy Disorders, Usher Syndrome, Xanthinuria, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

Subject had no prior history of knee pain or knee injuries.  Subject is 66 year old man, 5' 11" 290lbs in good health. He stated has always liked to walk, ski, dance, and was otherwise active.   On August 24, 2008, after about 4 miles walk subject reported he woke up, next morning, with pain in BOTH knees. Subject also reported being in the Middle East in June 2008, and having had a short affair with an attractive woman in her 40s.  STD. lyme, other blood tests were negative.  
In September he was referred to Orthopedic Sport Clinic's knee specialist, X rays, were negative, but for some minor thinning of the meniscuses' and also the left knee showed a small bone spur, but not associated with the area of pain, i.e., on the  interior side of and inside both knees, often causing stiffening of the calf muscles.
At the time of this visit, Subject reported--since August the pain in left knee subsided about 80 percent, but not the right.  In a follow-up MRI of the right knee, the Radiologist's report was negative, but for some signs of minor inflammation, which he attributed to arthritis(?). However, 8 weeks later, subject reports pain in right knee has subsided about 70 percent, but now left knee pain has flared up more than ever. Subject reports pain responds well to Naproxin 375mg once a day.  Specialist also fitted him with knee braces,  Rx exercise and wait loss.  
What is troubling no prior history of arthritis, and currently only problem is with both knees and the sudden onset of pain in both knees, overnight.  

Avatar_dr_f_tn

It is good that xray and MRI of the knee and other tests showed good results.  Was there blood test done?  This will help rule out infection or presence of gout. Knee pain usually results from arthritis (rheumatoid, osteoarthritis, and gout), baker's cyst, bursitis, connective tissue disorders such as lupus, dislocation of the kneecap, iIliotibial band syndrome, infection or any trauma or abnormalities in the structures in the knee. Many causes of knee pain, especially those related to overuse or physical activity, respond well to self-care such as resting and applying ice to the affected area. At this point, follow your doctor's orders and have him go for regular follow-up for monitoring. Take care and keep us posted.
As stated above STD. Lyme, and CBC, etc...were all negative, and so were the X-rays and MRI...and no injuries or dislocations... however, as to gout or lupus, would normal blood work reveal this?  Also, a single, white head pimple appeared on the left knee cap about 16 weeks later and then 18 weeks later on the left, a single one appeared.  As precaution Doxycyline Hyclate 100mg 2xd was Rx...each time.  The pimples may, or may not, have been reaction to topical nsiad that was being used, or perhaps a sign of some other problem? Patient also showed some iron type discloration of ankles, ulta sound circulation  tests were also negative.
Double Knee sudden Pain Onset -  I usually acquire gout after I splurge on Oysters on the Half Shell (can't resist ordering more)... BUT, I've had no Gout inducing foods Since I returned (Nov. 16) from a Philippines Vacation.  I noted in the above message... Xrays could show Gout? Really? Well, I'll receive the results of my Xrays on Monday from the VA.

The pain was horrible to extent of not being able to stand from a sitting position. It's been an increasing onset of pain into both knees over an 8 day period culminating in the Doctor's Visit. (They think it might be Arthritis).

The Question is Xrays can show 'gout'?    thanks - Mike D.