Rare Diseases Community
Sudden weakness in left hand and leg

This patient support community is for discussions relating to rare diseases and disorders. Some example include: Aarskog syndrome, Acoustic Neuroma, Angelman Syndrome, Behcet Syndrome, Bell’s Palsy, Canavan Disease, Carbon Baby Syndrome, Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, Chromosome Monosomy Disorders, Chromosome Trisomy Disorders, Devic's Disease, Dystonia, Ewing’s Sarcoma, Fragile X Syndrome, Immune Thrombocytopenia, Kawasaki Syndrome,Maple Syrup Urine Disease, Mastocytosis, McCune Albright syndrome, Pachygyria, Polycystic Kidney Disease, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Reiter’s Syndrome, Sickle cell anemia, Sturge-Weber syndrome, Trisomy Disorders, Usher Syndrome, Xanthinuria, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

Sudden weakness in left hand and leg

I have recently experienced a sudden weakness in my left hand and leg.  I first noticed it in my hand in the am when I went to use the computer.  A short while later I noticed it in my left leg when I was walking in the kitchen, my leg felt like it was going to go out from under me.  I grabbed on the counter and was leaning there when my leg started to wiggle and then my knee would fold.  It lasted a few minutes.  I've never experienced this before.  What could cause it?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? What other symptoms are present? Sudden weakness in the hand and leg may be brought about by a variety of issues such as electrolyte, musculoskeletal, peripheral vascular  or neurological conditions like stroke. It is best that you have this checked by your doctor for proper evaluation. Complete physical and neurological examination as well as additional diagnostic tests may need to be done for proper diagnosis. Take care and do keep us posted.
Thanks for the reply, after a second experience the same day, I sought medical attention.  It was determined that I had experienced a few small strokes, which could have been devastating, but as far as we know, no lasting permanent damage.   I'm not sure if this is going to post to the community or not, but I would strongly urge everyone to NOT ignore any abnormal activity in your body.  I have learned that your body speaks to you in many ways, and if something is not working right, listen to it!