Rare Diseases Community
Sulphur burps/vomiting/diarrhea & Fibromyalgia connection?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to rare diseases and disorders. Some example include: Aarskog syndrome, Acoustic Neuroma, Angelman Syndrome, Behcet Syndrome, Bell’s Palsy, Canavan Disease, Carbon Baby Syndrome, Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, Chromosome Monosomy Disorders, Chromosome Trisomy Disorders, Devic's Disease, Dystonia, Ewing’s Sarcoma, Fragile X Syndrome, Immune Thrombocytopenia, Kawasaki Syndrome,Maple Syrup Urine Disease, Mastocytosis, McCune Albright syndrome, Pachygyria, Polycystic Kidney Disease, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Reiter’s Syndrome, Sickle cell anemia, Sturge-Weber syndrome, Trisomy Disorders, Usher Syndrome, Xanthinuria, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

What causes attacks of SULPHUR BURPS followed by vomiting and diarrhea lasting for hours?  I have had this problem for years, but lately it has become chronic.  I'm on a low residual diet (no raw fruits or veggies-only cooked or canned).  It helps a little.  I have to sleep propped up in almost a sitting position which is miserable.  My G.I. doc doesn't know what is causing it.  He ran an endoscopy, an enteroscopy, and an ultrasound and found nothing.  Now he is going to do a colonoscopy.  
     One thing to note, I have Fibromyalgia.  My G.I. doc says a LOT of people with FM have GI problems.  FM is caused by a genetic liver/kidney disfunction, so there could be a connection....
     Does anyone else with these symptoms ALSO have Fibromyalgia?  Has anyone found ANYTHING to succesfully treat the GI symptoms mentioned above?  There is no cure for Fibromyalgia, but there HAS to be something to at least TREAT the GI symptoms!  
Hoping for an Answer,
Andie
If you have fybromyalgia and gastro symptoms then there is a good chance you are sensitive to salicylates and /or sulphites in foods.
I am sensitive to both and have cured both my muscle problems and gastro problems on a low sal/sulphtie diet. If I stray off the diet then my symptoms return.
It is a very restrictive diet so not for the faint hearted.. but to me it is worth the lack of food to be pain free and free of gastro problems.
I was diagnosed by a hospital allergist I am not self diagnosed.. these conditions exist!
Lindy (qualified nutritionist)
Welcome to the forum!
Sulfur is a contaminant of most food stuffs that contain refined sugar. It causes colon cancer, destroys Vit A and Vit B1 and causes exacerbation of allergy symptoms. So if you are allergic to carbohydrates in general and especially to refined carbohydrates then you can get sulfur burps and diarrhea. Keep a stress diary and note what you eat and when the burps started. Take Vit A and Vit B supplements and lactobacillus preparations for some time and see if this helps. Take whole grain breads and avoid burgers, sandwitches of white bread, cakes, pastries etc. Discuss this possibility with your doctor and investigate this further.
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage.  Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!