Rare Diseases Community
Tick bite that won't heal
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to rare diseases and disorders. Some example include: Aarskog syndrome, Acoustic Neuroma, Angelman Syndrome, Behcet Syndrome, Bell’s Palsy, Canavan Disease, Carbon Baby Syndrome, Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, Chromosome Monosomy Disorders, Chromosome Trisomy Disorders, Devic's Disease, Dystonia, Ewing’s Sarcoma, Fragile X Syndrome, Immune Thrombocytopenia, Kawasaki Syndrome,Maple Syrup Urine Disease, Mastocytosis, McCune Albright syndrome, Pachygyria, Polycystic Kidney Disease, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Reiter’s Syndrome, Sickle cell anemia, Sturge-Weber syndrome, Trisomy Disorders, Usher Syndrome, Xanthinuria, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Tick bite that won't heal

My 68 year-old husband was bitten by a tick over five months ago. When it wouldn't heal, he went to urgent care and they cut out some tissue in the area after my husband urged them.  He thought there might be part of the tick still present.  It nearly heals, then comes back.  It gets puffy, reddish and is about 3 cm in diamater.  He was put on antibiotics by his doctor and then by a dermatologist.  Developed a rash from a sulfa drug.  Now the rash starts to heal and then comes back.  Tested negative for diabetes.  He uses a corticosteroid creme from the dermatologist for the rash.  Now develops hives and a rash on his legs--just a few spots.
   Blood work was also negative for lymphoma.  He was then bitten on the shoulder by either a spider or mosquito on his shoulder and that wound won't heal up either (it's been about four months for that one).  What could cause this?
  (He did have MRSA in the past).  Could this be a hypersensitivity?
Tags: rash