Rare Diseases Community
Water Retention Disease

This patient support community is for discussions relating to rare diseases and disorders. Some example include: Aarskog syndrome, Acoustic Neuroma, Angelman Syndrome, Behcet Syndrome, Bell’s Palsy, Canavan Disease, Carbon Baby Syndrome, Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, Chromosome Monosomy Disorders, Chromosome Trisomy Disorders, Devic's Disease, Dystonia, Ewing’s Sarcoma, Fragile X Syndrome, Immune Thrombocytopenia, Kawasaki Syndrome,Maple Syrup Urine Disease, Mastocytosis, McCune Albright syndrome, Pachygyria, Polycystic Kidney Disease, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Reiter’s Syndrome, Sickle cell anemia, Sturge-Weber syndrome, Trisomy Disorders, Usher Syndrome, Xanthinuria, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

Water Retention Disease

A good friend of mine for the past two years has developped a condition where her boody starts to retain water literally her whole body swells up she vomits and is very weak because of it. Has anyone heard of any condition like this before. Doctors are giving her medication that works for most people but does not work for her.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How is your friend? Water retention may be caused by a variety of issues such as diet high in salt, hormonal issues or medical problems with organs like the kidneys, heart, or liver, and thyroid problems as well. If her medications are not working, further evaluation may need to be done to rule out the differentials mentioned. A referral to a specialist may also be done. Take care and do keep us posted.
The thing is she isnt taking any salt and she has about 10 specialists trying to figure out what is oing on. I think she might have to go elsewhere out of north america for help because no one seems like they can do anything for here. Her KIdneys and liver apparently are fine.
She has flare ups of it it comes and goes. she will gain like 20 pounds then it will go with hospital medication but she cannot keep it up forever. She slightly lost sight in one of her eyes so far.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for the updates.How is your friend? I'm sorry to hear of the lack of diagnosis despite of the ten specialists she went to. I know how hard it is to be in the dark and not knowing the cause of her symptoms. But I agree with you that she should not stop there but continue finding the answer to the cause of her symptoms. With the loss of one eye, evaluation by an ophthalmologist may also help. Take care and hope to hear from you soon.
The adrenal glands produce a hormone that controls the balance of salt and water in humans. I would see an endocrinologist that specializes in the adrenals (as most endocrinologists specialize in diabetes and thyroind issues). A blood test for "renin level" might help show if there is an issue and if fludrocortisone replacement is needed. I don't know where you live but the premiere endocine specialist regarding the balance of water in the system is Dr. Joseph Verbalis at Georgetown University Hospital in Washington, D.C. Also, in LA, Dr. Theodore Friedman specializes in difficult endocrine issues. He is a full time researcher at Charles Drew Univ. but sees a couple of patients a week at an office outside the univ. Best of luck but you must get to the correct doctor to get an answer. All endos are not the same. tr1102
Forgot to add to my comment. With the inclusion of optic problems, I would find a neuroendocrinologist as the pituitary gland lies in a position to press on the optic nerve and is associated w/the adrenals as well. Has a dynamic MRI of the brain been done? A non-cancerous pituitary tumor/adrenal tumor relates to the symptoms as well. Episodic Cushing's caused by one of these issues could also account for the "up and down or coming and going" of the symptoms or weight gain and loss. As is indicated by the name, "episodic" makes it difficult to get get a diagnosis but can be accomplished with the correct type of dr. I really rec. Dr. Friedman in this case. You can go to his website at "goodhormonehealth.com" and check things out for yourself if interested. Regards, tr1102