Rare Diseases Community
What causes uncontrollable laughter?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to rare diseases and disorders. Some example include: Aarskog syndrome, Acoustic Neuroma, Angelman Syndrome, Behcet Syndrome, Bell’s Palsy, Canavan Disease, Carbon Baby Syndrome, Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, Chromosome Monosomy Disorders, Chromosome Trisomy Disorders, Devic's Disease, Dystonia, Ewing’s Sarcoma, Fragile X Syndrome, Immune Thrombocytopenia, Kawasaki Syndrome,Maple Syrup Urine Disease, Mastocytosis, McCune Albright syndrome, Pachygyria, Polycystic Kidney Disease, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Reiter’s Syndrome, Sickle cell anemia, Sturge-Weber syndrome, Trisomy Disorders, Usher Syndrome, Xanthinuria, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

What causes uncontrollable laughter?

I have expereinced something since I was five years old. Off and on throughout my entire life. The last time I expereinced it was in 2008.
I was in Kindergarden during school when it occurred the first time.
I had just finished two cocos (one Jimmy Hunt gave me) and I busted into laughter and I could not stop. I could not stop laughing. The longest time that I expereinced uncontrollabe laughter was for two hours straight.
My eyes are also usually dialated. I act extremely goofy and my senese are impaired. I can see and hear perfectly but I do not make good decisions. Sometimes I start howling like a dog. I cannot walk straight.
I want to pull on something really hard. Usually it is a person's arm but sometimes it is a rope of some kind. But I have to pull on something.
While all of this is going on I am still laughting.
After the laughing stops I want to throw up. Sometimes I do throw up but sometimes I don't.
After that I start expereincing cold chills. I am cold but my body temperture says otherwise.
After that is over with I have NO ENERGY whatsoever. I can barely move.
Most of the time I go to sleep and when I wake up I am fine.
What is this?
I have other things going on besides this but I think the other things are unrelated to this. But I actually have a whole list of things that are just a bit odd. Like wanting to write all the time. I can write up to 10 hours in one day. Feeling antsy watching a movie in a movie theathre. I have never been able to watch a whole movie in a movie theathre because I feel ansty. I want to leave. When I was little I would put my hands over my ears and look on the floor and that help tremously. After a few minutes I could watch the movie. But after 30 minutes later I would feel antsy again. Things like that. Things that are odd. I think. Just a list of things. I am just wondering what I am.
Kristy
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi Kristy,
How are you? Uncontrolled laughing or crying at inappropriate moments may be caused by a variety of underlying causes. Also called called involuntary emotional expression disorder, it can be associated with psychological issues, multiple sclerosis, ALS, stroke, Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease or any number of conditions can cause brain lesions or damage the communications between different parts of the brain.It can also be due to a rare form of epileptic episode called gelastic seizure which presents with uncontrolled laughter. It is best that you have this checked by your doctor or be referred to a neurologist for proper evaluation. Imaging studies such as CT scan or EEG may be done to rule out the conditions mentioned above. Take care and do keep us posted.

However, as the case of the pilot illustrates, there can be a variety of underlying causes for these ill-timed outbursts. The result is pathological laughing or crying, also sometimes called involuntary emotional expression disorder. Now, Cleveland Clinic researchers are testing an experimental treatment, a combination of two medications, dextromethorphan and low-dose quinidine, to help control the involuntary outbursts.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi Kristy,

Avatar_dr_f_tn
You can read more about this through this links:
http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/04/14/4380063-uncontrollable-laughing-or-crying-is-no-joke
http://www.ilae-epilepsy.org/ctf/gelastic.html
Take care and regards.
I am 35 years old.

I Do think it is Odd and so does everyone else.

Kristy
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi Kristy,
Yes, this symptom is odd in some ways but if it recurs, it is best that you have this checked by your attending physician or be referred to a neurologist for proper evaluation and to rule out the conditions mentioned above. Take care always.
At my dads funeral i broke into uncontrollable laughter. I could not stop laughing. It was so bad I had to leave the funeral. I did not think anything was funny. It has never happened to me again.