Rare Diseases Community
Why autosomal dominant?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to rare diseases and disorders. Some example include: Aarskog syndrome, Acoustic Neuroma, Angelman Syndrome, Behcet Syndrome, Bell’s Palsy, Canavan Disease, Carbon Baby Syndrome, Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, Chromosome Monosomy Disorders, Chromosome Trisomy Disorders, Devic's Disease, Dystonia, Ewing’s Sarcoma, Fragile X Syndrome, Immune Thrombocytopenia, Kawasaki Syndrome,Maple Syrup Urine Disease, Mastocytosis, McCune Albright syndrome, Pachygyria, Polycystic Kidney Disease, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Reiter’s Syndrome, Sickle cell anemia, Sturge-Weber syndrome, Trisomy Disorders, Usher Syndrome, Xanthinuria, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Why autosomal dominant?

I am confused by the terminology of autosomal dominant disease, e.g.autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease (ADPKD). As an autosomal dominant disorder, we would expect that a single mutant copy of the gene (PKD) would be enough to cause the disease. However, a heterozygote PKD gene acquired during pregnancy would not demonstrate the symptom or signs of ADPKD. Rather, a somatic mutant resulting to a homozygous PKD mutant is essential for the occurrence of the disease, which is the so-called 'double hit' hypothesis. I just can not understand why there must be 'double hit' for an autosomal dominant disorder. If homozygous mutant is essential, what is the difference between an autosomal dominant disorder and an autosomal recessive disorder? If you have some explanation to this question, please share with me. Thanks!