Rare Diseases Community
hernias?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to rare diseases and disorders. Some example include: Aarskog syndrome, Acoustic Neuroma, Angelman Syndrome, Behcet Syndrome, Bell’s Palsy, Canavan Disease, Carbon Baby Syndrome, Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, Chromosome Monosomy Disorders, Chromosome Trisomy Disorders, Devic's Disease, Dystonia, Ewing’s Sarcoma, Fragile X Syndrome, Immune Thrombocytopenia, Kawasaki Syndrome,Maple Syrup Urine Disease, Mastocytosis, McCune Albright syndrome, Pachygyria, Polycystic Kidney Disease, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Reiter’s Syndrome, Sickle cell anemia, Sturge-Weber syndrome, Trisomy Disorders, Usher Syndrome, Xanthinuria, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

hernias?

if i have a growing lump between the tops of my rib cages that cause extreme nausea and pain... what type of hernia is it?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Can you elaborate on the lump and its specific position in your chest? The lump could be a cyst or infected hair follicle. Hernias are often located in the groin, umbilicus, midline of the abdomen and other places with anatomical weaknesses. Over-the-counter pain medications may help provide relief. However, if it persists, I recommend that you have this evaluated further for proper management. Direct clinical examination is essential. Take care and best regards.
Thanks for getting back to me, I'm doing okay thanks,
- basically the lump is between my breasts and the tops of my rib...(the middle). Lately I have noticed that if i lean against something it hurts, and along with eating almost any type of food i have extreme nausea symptoms. I believe these have something to do with the lump, because the nausea and pain began around the same time. the lump also causes pain throughout the day and i have tried tums, and advil but nothing is working. I have a doctors appt. scheduled next week, but I'm getting a little anxious.
its grown to about of half a golf ball if that helps any...
Thank you so much
Avatar_dr_f_tn
If symptoms are related with food intake, this  may be related with the digestive system, in particular, hiatal hernia, which presents with nausea, regurgitation and hearburn. Sliding hiatal hernias, the most common type of hiatal hernia, are those in which the junction of the esophagus and stomach, and part of the stomach protrude into the chest. The junction reside permanently in the chest, but often it goes into the chest during  swallowing. With each swallow the muscle of the esophagus contracts causing the esophagus to shorten and to pull up the stomach. Diagnosis is with upper gastrointestinal x-ray or endoscopy. Take care and do keep us posted.
Thank you so much for this feedback, I really appreciate it.
     The pain symptoms are affecting me if I try to breath deeply, however I luckily don't have any heartburn issues. Also, the lump does not protrude when I swallow, it's size remains constant.
I've thought of hernias, tumors and cysts and I just have no idea, so your feedback is really helping,  thank you so much.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Were you able to see your doctor? I'm glad I could be of help. But I can only provide you with differentials due to internet limitation. Direct clinical examination is still the best method of diagnosis. Hang on and we will soon get to know the bottom of this. Take care and do keep us posted.
Thanks, and yes i have an appt. scheduled for this thursday. Hopefully this bump is nothing major. I will let you know how it turns out.
Thank You.
Well, I got it checked out, and the bump was my xiaframe petruding(no idea how to spell it) and i may be lactose in-tolerant. Basically, I'm fine :) Thanks for all your advise!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
That's great! It is good that that the bump is just your protruding xiphoid and nothing major. You may need to have dietary changes, decreasing lactose in your diet,  and include calcium and vitamin D supplements if you are lactose-intolerant. Take care always and best regards.
thanks so much!