Rare Diseases Community
mitochondria

This patient support community is for discussions relating to rare diseases and disorders. Some example include: Aarskog syndrome, Acoustic Neuroma, Angelman Syndrome, Behcet Syndrome, Bell’s Palsy, Canavan Disease, Carbon Baby Syndrome, Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, Chromosome Monosomy Disorders, Chromosome Trisomy Disorders, Devic's Disease, Dystonia, Ewing’s Sarcoma, Fragile X Syndrome, Immune Thrombocytopenia, Kawasaki Syndrome,Maple Syrup Urine Disease, Mastocytosis, McCune Albright syndrome, Pachygyria, Polycystic Kidney Disease, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Reiter’s Syndrome, Sickle cell anemia, Sturge-Weber syndrome, Trisomy Disorders, Usher Syndrome, Xanthinuria, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

mitochondria

could anybody please tell me what actually mitochondria is an what happens with axonal outgrowth and how it affects the body with thanks
Thanks for writing to the forum!
“Mitochondria are sometimes described as "cellular power plants" because they generate most of the cell's supply of adenosine triphosphate (ATP), used as a source of chemical energy. [2] In addition to supplying cellular energy, mitochondria are involved in a range of other processes, such as signaling, cellular differentiation, cell death, as well as the control of the cell cycle and cell growth.” Refer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrion
The development of the brain is a complex process and thus the axonal outgrowths of the different regions of the brain differ in cell migration , transcription and transport.

“Movement of mitochondria in axons can serve as a general model for how all organelles move: mitochondria are easy to identify, they move along both microtubule and actin tracks, they pause and change direction, and their transport is modulated in response to physiological signals. However, they can be distinguished from other axonal organelles by the complexity of their movement and their unique functions in aerobic metabolism, calcium homeostasis and cell death. MITOCHONDRIA ARE THUS OF SPECIAL INTEREST IN RELATING DEFECTS IN AXONAL TRANSPORT TO NEUROPATHIES AND DEGENERATIVE DISEASES OF THE NERVOUS SYSTEM.” Refer: http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1533994

Hope this helps. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Thanks for writing to the forum!

Thanks for writing to the forum!