Rare Diseases Community
tests for brain chemistry levels

This patient support community is for discussions relating to rare diseases and disorders. Some example include: Aarskog syndrome, Acoustic Neuroma, Angelman Syndrome, Behcet Syndrome, Bell’s Palsy, Canavan Disease, Carbon Baby Syndrome, Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, Chromosome Monosomy Disorders, Chromosome Trisomy Disorders, Devic's Disease, Dystonia, Ewing’s Sarcoma, Fragile X Syndrome, Immune Thrombocytopenia, Kawasaki Syndrome,Maple Syrup Urine Disease, Mastocytosis, McCune Albright syndrome, Pachygyria, Polycystic Kidney Disease, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Reiter’s Syndrome, Sickle cell anemia, Sturge-Weber syndrome, Trisomy Disorders, Usher Syndrome, Xanthinuria, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

tests for brain chemistry levels

I was wondering what brain chemical, hormone testing is available? Can dopamine or steriod levels be tested for example. I have narcolepsy with cataplexy but I think there is somethin else wrong. I have been on experimental drugs as well as very hih doses of prednisone(as much as 100mg boosts as a child) and drugs like adrenaline, susphrine, theophilyn etc. I m concerned that its affected me. Ive read that prednisone has eliviated eds in narcolepsy, and I tke codeint to stay awake. Im thinking certain levels may have been affected. My Dr. said these things cannot be tested. I know how to spell all of the words in this but I cant remember some of them. I want to know where I can get more info about this.
Thank you
DTyler
  • ADHD (2 replies):
    i have a 4yr old she was diagnosed with adhd and she has...[more]
That is an interesting question.  It sure would be helpful if they could actually measure your dopamine, serotonin, etc. levels.  I am sure it would help psychiatrists be able to prescribe meds better for depression etc.  But then you would also have to know how the receptors were working too to know if they could accept the hormones.  Just rambling thought...         Karen   ps are you taking xyrem for the narcolepsy and cataplexy?  
Karen
Yes I take xyrem, as well as provigil, adderall (adderrall) and codeine for narcolepsy. You have a point.
I had a mild form of cataplexy.  I didn't even know I had it until I started the Xyrem!  I used to take adderall (adderrall) but my blood pressue started going up.  I read were they didn't even prescribe it in Canada d/t the side effects on your heart.  So they switched it to Concerta.  It doesn't work as well as the adderall (adderrall) but its better on my bp. I didn't realize you could take provigil and adderall (adderrall) at the same time.  What does the Codeine do for you?  
Codiene keeps me alert believe it or not. I can actually concentrate better on things at least for a little while, it only works about 1 1/2 hrs, and Ive built up a tolorance to it. Ive been on it about 12 yrs. Its much better than the stimulants. But I still have to take thse because codiene doesnt really last. But I can take much less of the adderall (adderrall). Probably wouldnt have to take the adderall (adderrall) at all if it werent for the tolorance thing. It seems that all 3 wakepromting drugs I take do something a little bit different to keep me awake. Xyrem does make my cataplexy worse when I take it. If I have to get up to go to the bathrom or something I have a really hard time walking, I fall a lot. But that wears off as the drug wears off. I guess it could be a test to see if someone has cataplexy.lol.
Debbie
I just read your question and it upset me because you CAN in fact have some brain function levels tested.  I know because I just did back in December of last year.  My doctor ran them and they went through a lab called Pharmasan Labs.  The interpretation and recommendations are provided by NeuroScience Inc.  Here is the link:

https://www.neurorelief.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=283&Itemid=46

I had ny Epinephrine; Norepinephrine; Dopamine; Serotonin; GABA; and Creatinine checked.

I also had my hormone levels checked with Saliva Testing.  This has been a proven way of testing hormone levels more accurately than with blood testing.  It was through a lab called Aeron.  Here is their link:

http://www.aeron.com/

I hope this helps you and if I were you, I would call my doctor on his incompetance on either not knowing or lieing to you about this.

Good luck, Kay
Thank you for the info, I will check it out. I thought she was lying, she just didnt want to be bothered. I have asthma and it was uncontrollable when I was little. From age 2 to about 13 I was on what the Dr.s called (massive dosages) of prednisone as much as 100mg boosts, adrenaline, susphrine, epinephrine, theophline(?), terbutaline, a couple of experimental drugs and aerosol treatments. I now have narcolepsy and other problems that just seem to be getting worse. I heard somewhere that some of these things could be tested and Im wondering if some of it anyway could be due to impaired function because of the drugs.
Again thank you for taking the time to post the info.

Debbie