wasting
My husband is wasting away.  He used to weigh 137 lbs, but now weighs 111 lbs.  He has had scans which rule out cancer.  I wonder if for some reason his body is not absorbing the food, vitamins, or minerals it needs.  What could be the cause of this wasting away? He is 68 yrs. old.
Hi im going throught that exact same thing..i used to be 110 now im at 86 lbs..lost alot out weight in the past months ..I just went for a ct scan yesterday hopefully that will show up something. I also feel i'm wasting away and no one knows why..I can eat so much but nothing stays in me..hope all the best for your husband!!

There are many causes of unintentional weight loss. This could be any of the following:  depression, chronic diarrhea, eating disorders, hyperthyroidism, infection, loss of appetite, malnutrition or smoking. It is important to rule out cancer and AIDS. A complete medical and physical examination is important to determine the possible cause. Some laboratory test and imaging studies may also help. It is good that your husband's scans are all negative. However, it is highly recommended to see your doctor regularly for proper monitoring of his weight. Food and vitamin supplements  may be able to help with the drastic weight loss.

Take care and regards.
While you are trying to get to the bottom of why your husband is wasting, it is essential that he lives as healthy a lifestyle as possible (this is obviously a good idea during normal times, but essential during times like these).

He should eat as much raw fruits and vegetables as possible, eat lots and lots of nuts (especially apricot seeds, though they don't taste very good but they are very good for you--don't do more than five in one setting), and then no more meat than the palm of your hand in any given day.

No dairy, no bread, no processed food, and ABSOLUTELY NO SUGAR.

Drink as much tea as possible (hot or cold), and none of the bad stuff (soda, alcohol--I'm sure you know the list :)

A big thing doctors don't like to talk about, is how much these imaging tests *miss* things--they aren't as reliable as we would like them to be.  

Please trust your instincts and start a massive lifestyle change while he still can.