Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Abdominal buldge post tram flap
About This Forum:

Questions in the Reconstructive Surgery Forum are being answered by Dr. Archibald Sanford Miller III, MD,FACS, the Associate Professor at the University of Oklahoma School of Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Abdominal buldge post tram flap

If you could help understand my problem out I had a double mastectomy and tram flap August 2008.  Before my question I want to say that I have no regrets having had this procedure.  I have been fighting cancer since 2003 first breast then 2006 stage 3 ovarian cancer. I have had surgery to debulk an ovarian mass (malignt) close to the size of a pineapple  appendectomy, ometum removed, radical hysterectomy two years of chemo.  After a number of years of breast biopsies I decided with my many dr.s  full support fto have a bilateral skin sparing mastectomy and tram flap.

I Feel I have done everything possible to have some peace of mind.  I know I am babbling I just want you to understand my history.  I had a few minor but lucked out in avoiding major complications form my many surgeries until now.  I have a huge abdominal bulge at my abdominal incision it gets bigger as the day goes on I feel like my guts are falling into my groin.  This is not a hernia or intestinal issues although it is causing pain, discomfort, bladder and bowel functions problems.  My PS suggested I see my general surgeon I did he is a great guy tried a couple things to help my bowels that was ok but didn’t help my bulge he is stumped and I respect him for admitting that to me. My PC ordered X-ray for stool in intestines was moderate .  

My dr.s are at a loss maybe abdominal wall weakness GS suggested I see if PS would consider repair surgery.  I told him that my binder from my surgery helps with the pain, discomfort and bulging he suggested that I might look into a girdle.  This is where I felt the previous information was important I really don‘t have mush left in my abdomin (abdomen) to keep things where they should be.