Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Blisters

Questions in the Reconstructive Surgery Forum are being answered by Dr. Archibald Sanford Miller III, MD,FACS, the Associate Professor at the University of Oklahoma School of Medicine.

Blisters

After having a double mastectomy on Aug 7, 2008 I had a Tram Flap reconstruction at the same time.  While hospitalized I developed blisters on both breasts which were aggravated by the use of Bacitracin to heal them but instead multiplied due to an allergic reaction to Bacitracin.  It is now Oct. 1 and the blisters have scabbed over and I am using Bactraban to try to heal.  The Plastic Surgeon says the blisters are on the Tram Flap skin, not on the new skin patch.  Why did this happen?  Is it a common occurance with this type of surgery?  What is the time frame for healing blisters?
Tags: blisters
Yes, blistering is a common occurrence. It usually happens when there is some swelling and the dressings are pulling against the skin resulting in blisters and some redness. Really, one should use antibiotic ointment only about 3 days and then the wounds should just be kept clean and dry. It will take you about 10 days to see complete healing. I hope this helps,

arch s miller ms md facs