Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Dying skin after Hysterectomy and Tummy Tuck/Hernia Repair
About This Forum:

Questions in the Reconstructive Surgery Forum are being answered by Dr. Archibald Sanford Miller III, MD,FACS, the Associate Professor at the University of Oklahoma School of Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Dying skin after Hysterectomy and Tummy Tuck/Hernia Repair

I have dying skin at the flap sight.  It is about 2" long and just recently opened up an 1" and I can see into the cavity.  To make matters worse,  now I see about 2" away from that sight along the scar line, there is some oozing pus coming through in small areas within what I thought was a successful healing.

Yellow pus is in the cavity and my plastic surgeon told me to not worry about it and that it will take about 3 months now to heal.  I have been told to waterproof the area, not to clean it and to wear a horizontal Kotex pad and this isn't working for me as the pad does not draw the pus away from the sight so I bought some surgical gauze and a surgical pad to go over it and decided to use saran wrap and tape to keep it water proof.  I am just worried about it not closing up.   How does dying skin heal itself or do you think in three months I will need a skin graph.  I am also worried about infection because I have been told not do to any cleaning in the site or wipe the pus out.

This procedure was done with a hysterectomy and I now have urinary tract infection and passing some fluid vaginally.  Please,  can you give me some advice?   P.S. I am very happy with the my tummy tuck/hernia repair and my surgeon.  Thank you.