Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Finger problems and scared..

Questions in the Reconstructive Surgery Forum are being answered by Dr. Archibald Sanford Miller III, MD,FACS, the Associate Professor at the University of Oklahoma School of Medicine.

Finger problems and scared..

I'm a survivor of domestic abuse and have old injuries to my fingers (and other areas of my body) that were never treated. I wasn't allowed to get medical help in the past. A few of my fingers don't bend normally and I was told  maybe a tendon problem. I've tried to live with this problem for a few years hoping it will go away but its slowly becoming worse. My ring finger and middle finger will not bend down to the palm when I make a fist. They don't feel stiff and if I push them down with my good  hand and let go they will pop back up. I noticed now my index finger, the joint closest to the nail, will not curl under  when making a fist. If a few fingers don't work properly does it tend to affect the other fingers?

I'll admit something.. I'm scared to seek help even though I may need it. I know there are good doctors out there but I was told by one doctor that a plastic surgeon or hand specialist won't wan't to help me because I was abused.  I thought there is a program in the USA where plastic surgeons work with dv victims or maybe I don't need that.I live in Canada and if I want to see a specialist I  need a referral through another doctor which unfortunately hasn't been working for me. Not sure if we have a similar program here.

Thank you for your help!
That is patently untrue. A good surgeon does not care about the abuse issue. That surgeon will evaluate your hand and recommend what you need to have done. There are many ways to access a good hand surgeon, and you will have to search in your community for the best one.

arch s miller ms md facs