Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Is Breast reconstruction a cause of a hernia?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Reconstructive Surgery Forum are being answered by Dr. Archibald Sanford Miller III, MD,FACS, the Associate Professor at the University of Oklahoma School of Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Is Breast reconstruction a cause of a hernia?

I actually have many questions.  First, I had a double mastectomy almost 3 years ago with just an expander and silicone implants. Cancer had occurred 3 times, 2 times on the right and once on the left, so I decided to do a double mastectomy. I am still not finished the completion of reconstruction, as the one breast is off center and lower then the other one, and also has a dent in it.  I don't know if I should be satisfied with it, or if it can be fixed, before I more on to nipple construction and tattoos. Besides that, now I have a hernia in the left groin area and would almost like to have it taken care of at the same time as the breast work, as I would lie to limit the amount of times I get anestesias, as I have had some many surgeries. Also, could the hernia be related to the breast reconstruction? Also, a doctor suggested just a tatoo with no nipple. Personally, I would prefer the nipple, but are there problems with that? Perhaps the nipple construction would get rid of the dent?