Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Is Breast reconstruction a cause of a hernia?

Questions in the Reconstructive Surgery Forum are being answered by Dr. Archibald Sanford Miller III, MD,FACS, the Associate Professor at the University of Oklahoma School of Medicine.

I actually have many questions.  First, I had a double mastectomy almost 3 years ago with just an expander and silicone implants. Cancer had occurred 3 times, 2 times on the right and once on the left, so I decided to do a double mastectomy. I am still not finished the completion of reconstruction, as the one breast is off center and lower then the other one, and also has a dent in it.  I don't know if I should be satisfied with it, or if it can be fixed, before I more on to nipple construction and tattoos. Besides that, now I have a hernia in the left groin area and would almost like to have it taken care of at the same time as the breast work, as I would lie to limit the amount of times I get anestesias, as I have had some many surgeries. Also, could the hernia be related to the breast reconstruction? Also, a doctor suggested just a tatoo with no nipple. Personally, I would prefer the nipple, but are there problems with that? Perhaps the nipple construction would get rid of the dent?
The dent is likely at the top of your breast. If so, then this is a problem that happens because of the breast removal. One needs to fill in that area with some tissue. A dermal fat graft works nicely and gives a very good soft contour.
There is no connection with an inguinal hernia and tissue expansion.
The nipple reconstruction can fail with the nipple flattening out, but usually does well. I routinely tattoo the areola, then the nipple two months later. The appearance is very acceptable.

arch s miller ms md facs
How safe is breast reconstruction?  And how long will the healing process take?
breast reconstruction