Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Nerve cut or neuroma problem in regards to my wrist
About This Forum:

Questions in the Reconstructive Surgery Forum are being answered by Dr. Archibald Sanford Miller III, MD,FACS, the Associate Professor at the University of Oklahoma School of Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Nerve cut or neuroma problem in regards to my wrist

I had surgery for a neuroma on my wrist (thumb side) a year ago. The plastic surgeon removed some of it and buried the rest. My symptoms are back again and he plans to re operate. My symptoms include burning pain that radiates up my thumb if you tap or press on the incision scar. Other times it burns on its own without touching.

He said either its the neuroma or maybe my nerve is cut. I was told if the nerve is cut and its too far apart they can't repair it. Or if its the neuroma they will bury it deeper.

I have a symptom which is new and never had this prior to my last surgery. My thumb will twitch off and on. Could this be something to do with my wrist problem?

I always thought there are different surgical techniques to repair cut nerves. Does that depend on the length of time without treatment or where the nerve is located?

Thank you for your help!