Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Nerve cut or neuroma problem in regards to my wrist

Questions in the Reconstructive Surgery Forum are being answered by Dr. Archibald Sanford Miller III, MD,FACS, the Associate Professor at the University of Oklahoma School of Medicine.

I had surgery for a neuroma on my wrist (thumb side) a year ago. The plastic surgeon removed some of it and buried the rest. My symptoms are back again and he plans to re operate. My symptoms include burning pain that radiates up my thumb if you tap or press on the incision scar. Other times it burns on its own without touching.

He said either its the neuroma or maybe my nerve is cut. I was told if the nerve is cut and its too far apart they can't repair it. Or if its the neuroma they will bury it deeper.

I have a symptom which is new and never had this prior to my last surgery. My thumb will twitch off and on. Could this be something to do with my wrist problem?

I always thought there are different surgical techniques to repair cut nerves. Does that depend on the length of time without treatment or where the nerve is located?

Thank you for your help!
It sounds like the radial cutaneous nerve was damaged. But, an old injury is hard to fix. The repair is difficult at best and you will likely never have normal sensation. There are special collagen tubes now and various other methods that are new, but I am doubting there will be much for you except relief of some of your symptoms. The newest symptom you describe is likely a manifestation of new neural growth. I recommend you have a real lengthy discussion with your surgeon to get your expectations in line with what you can really expect to accomplish. I hope this helps, respectfully,

arch s miller ms md facs