Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Scar adhesions after rotator cuff repair

Questions in the Reconstructive Surgery Forum are being answered by Dr. Archibald Sanford Miller III, MD,FACS, the Associate Professor at the University of Oklahoma School of Medicine.

I had surgery at the end of July to repair a hole worn through the rotator cuff tendon and muscle above it. The repair was successful, but I noticed as soon as the stitches came out that three of my 4 incisions were indented as if stitched too deeply (I am a very small woman with very little body fat -- he could have stitched too deeply on me), and the largest incision at the top of the deltoid muscle seems to be attached to some of the muscle tissue, causing a deep indention on the end of the scar and a raised lump of what I believe is muscle tissue under it. This raised lump flattens out when I flex the muscle to use it, but when I do this, the skin folds in half as it is drug with the muscle down lower on the arm. I have had 3-4 months of ultrasound and scar massage therapy by the physical therapists to try to break up the adhesions, and they are improved, but they still pull whenever I raise the arm. The pulling of the skin keeps the two scars that are the worst constantly sore. My surgeon will see me again in a few weeks and he frankly doesn't seem to have any ideas of how to help me, for he has not seen this happen before. Do you think it would be a good idea to ask him to refer me to a plastic surgeon, or will this kind of discomfort go away in time? The scar(s) that are not adhered to tissues below them are completely pain-free at this time.
See a plastic surgeon. Although painful, this sounds like a scar contracture and should be easily treated.
                arch s miller ms md facs
Thank you. Since my surgeon has not seen this in other patients, he is really sort of following my suggestions on how to treat it.  I am still doing scar massage to try to loosen it as much as possible, but I needed to hear if this was something that should go to a plastic surgeon for a fix. Your expertise is valuable -- we online visitors appreciate the time you spend on this Forum.