Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
broken clavical

Questions in the Reconstructive Surgery Forum are being answered by Dr. Archibald Sanford Miller III, MD,FACS, the Associate Professor at the University of Oklahoma School of Medicine.

broken clavical

i broke my clavical 9 years ago, and i have had four surgeries on it, three different plates and part of my hip put in, it is still broken and i have sever pain and it is alwas spraining realy bad. my surgen told me he does not want to touch it again. i was wondering if it was possible to have the clavical removed completely or maybe reconstructed with another thing...i have had to quit 4 jobs because i am not able to work with this arm and even everyday household chores are a pain, my husband has to do it all...
Tags: clavical
From the twins suggestion, it is possible you may not have been able to let yourself heal completely. But, once plates are used, there really is no other alternative. The issue is that the clavicle supports the shoulder in all of its motion, and has an enormous load bearing responsibility. Actually, many do not even try to fix it. There is one type of plate that is made for rib fractures that goes around the rib, and then one screws the plate and rib together. That would be your last hope. I am afraid that I do not know the name of the plate, but I am sure that with diligence, you will be able to find it somewhere on the net.
One can remove most, but not all of the clavicle, but I do not honestly recommend that. Even a badly healed one is probably better than none.
Good luck.

arch s miller ms md facs