Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
leg straightening

Questions in the Reconstructive Surgery Forum are being answered by Dr. Archibald Sanford Miller III, MD,FACS, the Associate Professor at the University of Oklahoma School of Medicine.

leg straightening

Hi.
Now approaching 40, whne I was 16 I fractured my tibia.
Being 7 degrees off straight, by a specialists reckoning, or the bottom of the foot being 3 cm off center, I have started suffering painful sessions only with continuous undue usage of my leg. eg standing up all day for 2 days, walk> 4 km. The sessions say last a few days, during which I hobble a bit.

One specialist takes an extreme view that I will need a knee replacement in 10 years  if I let it go and feels it must be perfectly straightened near to the bend. He says 3 cm is huge. He is whom I am currently booked in with.

Another takes the complete opposite view that simply a wedge below the knee will do and that I should leave it till I am in true pain. He says 7 degrees is nothing

1. The second one says that he would not operate anywhere near the the bend because with a the large ball of callus it might "never" heal. Can he be right? Can an orthopedic surgeon propose to operate on a bone when it might never heal? Is there empirical/scientific evidence in this surgeons claims or his he using his gut feeling from viewing the XRays?

2. Who do I believe? No answer needed here if its too hard

Thank you
Tags: leg, callus
You have a big problem. This should be gone over with so that you have confidence. You need to ask both doctors who they would go to if they had the same problem, then go there for an opinion. That will be your best option. Go, even if it is out of state. Many difficulties can arise, including worsening of your present condition, so be prudent and go see someone who has done this 100 times. Then, you can have confidence.
                    arch s miller ms md facs
Dear Sir
Both are specifically limb orthopedic specialists in Melbourne Australia.
"You have a big problem"... this indicates to me that the first one is the own to go with... THANK YOU so much for clearing this up in my head
I'd get a third opinion. It never hurts to get one more to see what they say. If you do nothing it can get worse, but if you do get treatment and they do not do it correctly, then it can also get worse. I went to several doctors before choosing the treatment that I needed. Good luck.